Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Patrick Arlt <pa...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/17 07:09:12 UTC

Will GeoCouch be integrated into CouchDB with the rcouch merge?

rcouch says it has GeoCouch integrated into it and I'm wondering with
rcouch merging into CouchDB I'm wondering if Geocouch will also be
integrated into the CouchDB codebase. Native handling of geographic data
would be an amazing. But I've also seen lots of mentions of GeoCouch as a
great example of what a CouchDB Plugin would be.

So which is it going be? Integrated into the core codebase or as a plugin?

Re: Will GeoCouch be integrated into CouchDB with the rcouch merge?

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 17, 2014 7:27 AM, "Benoit Chesneau" <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2014 7:10 AM, "Patrick Arlt" <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > rcouch says it has GeoCouch integrated into it and I'm wondering with
> > rcouch merging into CouchDB I'm wondering if Geocouch will also be
> > integrated into the CouchDB codebase. Native handling of geographic data
> > would be an amazing. But I've also seen lots of mentions of GeoCouch as
> > great example of what a CouchDB Plugin would be.
> >
> > So which is it going be? Integrated into the core codebase or as a
plugin?

> Technically geocouch is an extension inside rcouch. Once there will be a
proper plugin systeme in rcouch it will also be one default plugin. Right
now we are not convinced by the implementation of plugins and we are
looking for a more erlangish way to do it.

by we I meant inside rcouch. We tried the current system which works well
for some usage and is a really good way to add plugins dynamically on a
standalone node. But we also need the following features:

- beeing able to deploy the release with its plugins on multiple machines
- beeing able to upgrade it cleanly like an erlang release.
- versionning

and other stuffs.

We are working on it trying to define a "plugin cycle" that fit the bill  :)

- benoit

Re: Will GeoCouch be integrated into CouchDB with the rcouch merge?

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Robert Samuel Newson
<rn...@apache.org> wrote:

> Either way, it will need to work when sharded, since it'll appear after the bigcouch merge.

Maybe this could help:

https://github.com/refuge-attic/bigcouch_spatial

- benoit

Posted by Robert Samuel Newson <rn...@apache.org>.