Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/27 23:37:53 UTC

thrift work

Hey all,

I'm looking at Thrift now, with the intent of creating C bindings for
it (for eventual use in Subversion).

I'd also be happy to do a bunch of the other work that is necessary to
turn this into an Apache project. I note that none of the files have
switched over to the proper ASF headers (!!!). I've run into a number
of other out-of-date references to the facebook URLs and the old
license and other stuff like that.

Cheers,
-g

Re: thrift work

Posted by Jérémie BORDIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com> wrote:
> The header thing bothers me, too. I think there's already an issue open, but
> we should take action on this one soon. Feel free to submit a patch if you
> can find the issue in Jira, or open one if you can't find it.
>
> -Bryan
>
> On Jan 27, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm looking at Thrift now, with the intent of creating C bindings for
>> it (for eventual use in Subversion).
>>
>> I'd also be happy to do a bunch of the other work that is necessary to
>> turn this into an Apache project. I note that none of the files have
>> switched over to the proper ASF headers (!!!). I've run into a number
>> of other out-of-date references to the facebook URLs and the old
>> license and other stuff like that.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -g

Here's the Jira issue for the C++ library / compiler. This issue is
already fixed for Java if i remember right.

Cheers,
Jérémie

--
Jérémie 'ahFeel' BORDIER

Re: thrift work

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Re: thrift work

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
You can download a tarball from gitweb:
http://gitweb.thrift-rpc.org/?p=thrift.git;a=snapshot;h=refs/heads/pri/rmcfarland/c_bindings_linear;sf=tgz

github has this feature too, but it appears to be broken at the moment.

--David

Re: thrift work

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ross,

Re: thrift work

Posted by Michael Greene <mi...@gmail.com>.
Just to reinforce this point with a concrete reason, the recent
security problem with gitweb made several of the git-hosted patches
inaccessible from JIRA using the posted links, with no patches stored
in JIRA.  Although I enjoy access to the git repository, I don't think
the "Patch Available" field should be set unless a patch is available
in JIRA.

Michael

RE: thrift work

Posted by Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com>.
Hmm, there should be a JIRA ticket and/or category open for the C bindings. But it's looking like maybe there's not and I can't find one right now.

Generally though, we haven't been granting committer priveleges until after people have contributed some significant patches to the project (using JIRA as the main channel for open communication etc.) and established some level of expertise and commitment to the Thrift code.

To the SVN point, while we do follow the standard Apache practices of posting all patches etc. to JIRA and using SVN as our repository, it seems a lot of the individual developers on the project prefer to use git in their development environment. Hence a lot of people end up sharing links to their openly hosted repositories.

These should definitely also be posted to JIRA so that they're accessible to everyone interested in the project, but just wanted to shed some light on that.

Cheers,
Mark

Hunh. Ross should have got commit privs so he could work on those in the central SVN repository...

Re: thrift work

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: thrift work

Posted by Jake Luciani <ja...@gmail.com>.