Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/26 10:06:49 UTC

ADS usage at the ASF

Hi, fellow developers !

There is a starting project at The Asf : using ADS to manage ASF user's.
This is a good news, obviously, and it fits into the 'eat your own dog
food' category. Right now, the server has been installed on a Solaris
zone, for experiment purpose, and we have injected something like 2000
committers into this instance.

The next step will be to use this ADS instance to manage access to
people.apache.org, svn, JIRA and some other tools. We won't switch all
the committers, as we may experiment some difficulties, so we decided to
ask for volunteers. Obvioulsy, we are volunteers ... So all the
Directory committers will be some of the first users of our great server :)

There are some areas where we will be challenged in the next two months
: we have to check that the server works well when the replication is
setup (we may have some bugs, and we will have to fix them fast).
Another aspect we have to improve the server is the disaster recovery
system : we should be able to restore the server even if the machine
crashed badly. This is something we already discussed in the past two
months, but it's now mandatory to have it working.

At the end, I'm confident that it will be a success. It's just a matter
to be around if some problems occur.

Oh, btw, merry christmas to all of you !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: ADS usage at the ASF

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@gmail.com>.
Good news indeed.  Looking forward to it.

Re: ADS usage at the ASF

Posted by ayyagarikiran <ay...@gmail.com>.
whoya!, this is great news

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi, fellow developers !
>
> There is a starting project at The Asf : using ADS to manage ASF user's.
> This is a good news, obviously, and it fits into the 'eat your own dog
> food' category. Right now, the server has been installed on a Solaris
> zone, for experiment purpose, and we have injected something like 2000
> committers into this instance.
>
> The next step will be to use this ADS instance to manage access to
> people.apache.org, svn, JIRA and some other tools. We won't switch all
> the committers, as we may experiment some difficulties, so we decided to
> ask for volunteers.

am ready :)

Obvioulsy, we are volunteers ... So all the
> Directory committers will be some of the first users of our great server :)
>
> There are some areas where we will be challenged in the next two months
> : we have to check that the server works well when the replication is
> setup (we may have some bugs, and we will have to fix them fast).
> Another aspect we have to improve the server is the disaster recovery
> system : we should be able to restore the server even if the machine
> crashed badly. This is something we already discussed in the past two
> months, but it's now mandatory to have it working.
>
> At the end, I'm confident that it will be a success. It's just a matter
> to be around if some problems occur.
>
> Oh, btw, merry christmas to all of you !

merry christmas

Kiran Ayyagari