Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Schultz, Gary - COMM" <GS...@commerce.state.wi.us> on 2004/10/28 19:50:47 UTC

Java/Cocoon memory use configuration

In a previous email message I described problems using an XSP page to access
data from an Oracle database and generating XML result set. We discovered
that low memory was the culprit. Every time we hit the XSP we started
running out of memory. This also affected our web site in that Cocoon
processes did not transform web pages. Web pages started coming up blank.

After much research on performance tuning Java and Cocoon, I came across the
following observation. I created the JAVA_OPTS and CATALINA_OPTS
environmental variables and came them various values. I used different
combination of values for JAVA_OPTS, CATALINA_OPTS, and settings for
<parameter name="freememory"  and <parameter name="heapsize" in
cocoon.xconf. No luck in addressing the low memory problem.

Recalling cache memory problems I experienced in 2.1.4 and the need to
comment out the use of the persistent store, I decided to start commenting
out the previously mentioned parameters in cocoon.xconf. I discovered that
commenting out, and not using, the parameter <parameter name="heapsize" in
cocoon.xconf solved the low memory problem. The XSP now functions as
expected and free memory settings stay well above z zero value.

Our configuration:

2.4 GHz Xeon Processor Compaq server
2.5 Gigabytes RAM
Windows 2000 (5.00.2195 Service Pack 4)
J2SDK 1.4.2_03
Apache 2.0.49
Tomcat 5.0.18
Cocoon 2.1.5.1

Can anyone explain why this would be? Has anyone else tried this and
experienced similar results?

Gary T. Schultz
Web Technical Administrator / GIS Coordinator
Wisconsin Department of Commerce
6th Floor
P.O. Box 7970
Madison, WI