Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Bert Lamb <be...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/07 23:42:15 UTC

Snapshot etiquette

Ok, so I'm trying to get a handle on the "right" way to do snapshot
dependencies during development and the perform a "release."  In
reading around the Internet it looks like there are two different
approaches to snapshots..

Approach 1:

In your POM define your version as "SNAPSHOT", and use jar:deploy to
put your artifact myproj-SNAPSHOT.jar out on the repository.

When it comes time to release then you change your version to your
"real" version and then run that one build as your release build and
put myproj-1.0.jar out on the repository.

Approach 2:

In your POM define your version as the real version that is currently
in development but use jar:deploy-snapshot to put the artifact in the
repository (it also puts a timestamped version there as well).

When it comes time to release then you use jar:deploy for that "release build".

Do I have these two approaches right?  Which one is the "right" one?
Is there a best practice documented somewhere?

Thanks!

-Bert

Re: Snapshot etiquette

Posted by Nicolas Chalumeau <ni...@gmail.com>.
For me the better way to do is the approch 1.5 ;-).

During the development use the X.X-SNAPSHOT and before release the
artifact use the X.X version number. With this way you can use the
power of snapshot dependancies with a version number notion.

Nicolas,