Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrea <so...@polin.it> on 2003/01/06 20:26:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Look-Back feature

Hi,
is it there some documentations regarding the Apache look back feature ?

For example:

a)
I have:
/index.htm

If I call a page as
somesite_com/index
then index.htm is called

b)
while if I have
/index.php
/index.htm
then if I call a page as
somesite_com/index
then index.htm is called instead

Could you please help me to understand ?

Thanks,
Mr. Andrea

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Look-Back feature

Posted by Andrea <so...@polin.it>.
THANKS a lot!

Andrea

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Andrea <so...@polin.it>.
I already know that,
I try to explain it better:

DirectoryIndex is index.htm index.php

Case A)
I have these two files in the DocumentRoot
pippo.htm
pippo.php

If I call from the browser
/pippo
then pippo.htm is called

while If I call from the browser
/pippo/foo
I'll have a 404

Case B)
I have one one file in the DocumentRoot
pippo.php

If I call from the browser
/pippo
then pippo.php is called

while If I call from the browser
/pippo/foo
then pippo.php is called

I don't understand why that happens.

  The DirectoryIndex (explained here: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_dir.html#directoryindex) gives a list of files to check and the order that it should bring them up in if they exist as the default listing for a directory.  This might be what you're looking for.

  Cheers,
  Eric

Posted by Eric Renouf <er...@opticominc.com>.