Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by "Frederick R. Brock" <fb...@orbmagic.com> on 2002/01/14 17:19:27 UTC

Info

hat are the future plans for xindice? The server is great, however I see a
lot of places where intergrating some opensource packages would be
benefical, for example:

1. If you want an HTTP Server embeded you could embed tomcat.
2. Log4j for standard logging.
3. java JMX for management
4. intergration of SOAP and XML-RPC for client access, this would be in
addition to xml:db initiative.

Kinda new to participating in opensource development, so excuse me if I am
in the wrong spot, just tell me where I need to be.

Fred

Re: Info

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Monday, January 14, 2002, at 10:50 AM, Chad La Joie wrote:

> That seems like it would be overkill.  I use Tamino here at work and I
> would LOVE a better option.  One of the problems that we have with Tamino
> is that it's a pretty big memory hog on our Linux systems.

This will probably be a problem with any XML database.

> What is the current state of Xindice/dbXML?  I have a list of suggestions
> for improvements but I don't want to clutter up the list right now while
> the project conversion is going on.

Fire away, the shape of 1.0 is set, but we need to really dig in and
figure out how things will look for later revisions.

> At 12:53 PM 1/14/2002, you wrote:
>> Somtimes I read Avalon mailing-list, and I remember some proposition to
>> use the avalon
>> framework in dbxml.
>> It's always plan ?
>>
>> --
>> David "Dwayne" Bernard             Freelance Developer (Java)
>>                                    mailto:dwayne@java-fan.com
>>       \|/                          http://dwayne.java-fan.com
>> --o0O @.@ O0o-------------------------------------------------

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/

Re: Info

Posted by Chad La Joie <cl...@vt.edu>.

Re: Building database Schema from a DTD

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Monday, January 14, 2002, at 01:44 PM, Matt Raible wrote:

> I just joined this list, so excuse me if this question has been asked.
>
> I'm thinking about using Xindice for holding data for eLearning Content
> Packages (see SCORM at adlnet.org for more information).  I'm wondering if
> it's possible to use a DTD to build the initial schema for the database -
> or
> if it is required at all.  I've seem some XML databases that do not
> require
> a schema, and the db will use the document as the schema.

The database is schema independent so you can just add your documents
without predefining a schema.

Re: Info

Posted by David BERNARD <dw...@java-fan.com>.

Re: Info

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Monday, January 14, 2002, at 09:19 AM, Frederick R. Brock wrote:

> hat are the future plans for xindice? The server is great, however I see
> lot of places where intergrating some opensource packages would be
> benefical, for example:
>
> 1. If you want an HTTP Server embeded you could embed tomcat.

Xindice already has a basic HTTP server, though it is planned for Tomcat
and Avalon to be leveraged more in the future.

> 2. Log4j for standard logging.

Yes, this would be useful.

> 3. java JMX for management

This has never been discussed. What would it buy us?

> 4. intergration of SOAP and XML-RPC for client access, this would be in
> addition to xml:db initiative.

XML-RPC already exists as a separate project and SOAP is planned. We've
been looking at replacing the CORBA network API with one or both of SOAP
and XML-RPC.

> Kinda new to participating in opensource development, so excuse me if I am
> in the wrong spot, just tell me where I need to be.

This is the right spot to talk about developing the server.