Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by Rana Faisal Munir <fm...@essi.upc.edu> on 2017/04/12 19:48:42 UTC

CarbonData performance benchmkaring

Dear all,

I am running some experiments to benchmark the performance of both Parquet
and CarbonData. I am using TPC-H lineitem table of size 8GB. It has 16
columns and I am running different projection queries where I am reading
different number of columns (3,6,9,12,15). I am facing some problem with
CarbonData and it seems to be very slow when I select more than 8 columns.
It takes almost hours to process my request whereas Parquet is very quick.
Could please anybody helps me to know this behavior.

  This is my configuration of cluster:

3 Machines

1 Driver Machine (128 GB, 24 cores)

2 Worker Machines  (128GB, 24 cores)

My configuration settings for Spark are:

spark.executor.instances        12

spark.executor.memory   18g

spark.driver.memory     57g

spark.executor.cores    3

spark.driver.cores      5

spark.default.parallelism       72

carbon.sort.file.buffer.size=20

carbon.graph.rowset.size=100000

carbon.number.of.cores.while.loading=6

carbon.sort.size=500000

carbon.enableXXHash=true

carbon.number.of.cores.while.compacting=2

carbon.compaction.level.threshold=4,3

carbon.major.compaction.size=1024

carbon.number.of.cores=4

carbon.inmemory.record.size=120000

carbon.enable.quick.filter=false

My Queries:

carbon.sql("CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS lineitem_4  (orderkey BIGINT, partkey
BIGINT, suppkey BIGINT, linenumber BIGINT, quantity DOUBLE, extendedprice
DOUBLE, discount DOUBLE, tax DOUBLE, returnflag STRING, linestatus STRING,
shipdate DATE, commitdate DATE, receiptdate DATE, shipinstruct STRING,
shipmode STRING, comment STRING) STORED BY 'carbondata'
TBLPROPERTIES('TABLE_BLOCKSIZE'='128 MB')")

carbon.sql("LOAD DATA INPATH 'hdfs://hdfsmaster/input/lineitem/' INTO TABLE
lineitem_4 OPTIONS ('FILEHEADER' =
'orderkey,partkey,suppkey,linenumber,quantity,extendedprice,discount,tax,ret
urnflag,linestatus,shipdate,commitdate,receiptdate,shipinstruct,shipmode,com
ment', 'USE_KETTLE' = 'false', 'DELIMITER'='|')")

val proj1 = carbon.sql("SELECT orderkey,partkey,linenumber FROM
lineitem_4"))

proj1.write.format("csv").save("hdfs://hdfsmaster/output/carbon/proj1/")

val proj2 = carbon.sql("SELECT
orderkey,partkey,linenumber,quantity,discount,returnflag FROM lineitem_4")

proj2.write.format("csv").save("hdfs://hdfsmaster/output/carbon/proj2/")

val proj3 = carbon.sql("SELECT
orderkey,partkey,linenumber,quantity,discount,returnflag,linestatus,commitda
te,receiptdate FROM lineitem_4")

proj3.write.format("csv").save("hdfs://hdfsmaster/output/carbon/proj3/")

val proj4 = carbon.sql("SELECT
orderkey,partkey,linenumber,quantity,discount,returnflag,linestatus,commitda
te,receiptdate,shipinstruct,shipmode,comment FROM lineitem_4")

proj4.write.format("csv").save("hdfs://hdfsmaster/output/carbon/proj4/")

Thank you

Regards

Faisal

Re: CarbonData performance benchmkaring

Posted by Rana Faisal <fm...@essi.upc.edu>.
Hi,

It would be perfect. Thank you very much.

Regards

Faisal

Posted by Rana Faisal <fm...@essi.upc.edu>.
Hi Liang,

Thank you very much. Now, I am doing my tests with the updated one. I
will share the results with you. I have one question: Can I adjust table
block size in DataFrame write?

Regards

Faisal

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rana

--
Regards
Liang

RE: CarbonData performance benchmkaring

1.Did you use the latest master version , or 1.0 ?  suggest you use master to test 2.Have you tested other TPC-H query which including where/filter?

--
Regards
Liang

Re: CarbonData performance benchmkaring