Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Ricardo Cortes <rc...@boltstaff.com> on 2005/03/30 18:25:49 UTC

Production Setttings

Could anyone out there that's using James in a production system give me
an idea of what parameters they use for their config file?  At any given
time, our production applications send out approximately 5000 emails a
day.  Currently, our config file is set to have 100 outgoing threads and
75 spool threads.  The messages in the spool are getting processed just
fine.  However, the number of messages in the outgoing folder seems to
grow each day.  I've had to resort to writing a cron script that cleans
out messages in this folder that are more than a few days old and the
James process seems to steadily sit at 49% CPU utilization.  Anyone have
any examples of working numbers?

Thanks,
Ricardo

Re: Production Setttings

Posted by Hes Siemelink <he...@izecom.com>.
We use 4 spool threads and 2 x 30 outgoing threads (there are two
RemoteDelivery mailets in use).

After experimenting I found that in our set up, the system slows down a
factor two with more spool threads. 4 turned out to be the optimum. You
may want to run some tests in your environment, though.

Good luck

     Hes.

Ricardo Cortes wrote:
> Could anyone out there that's using James in a production system give me
> an idea of what parameters they use for their config file?  At any given
> time, our production applications send out approximately 5000 emails a
> day.  Currently, our config file is set to have 100 outgoing threads and
> 75 spool threads.  The messages in the spool are getting processed just
> fine.  However, the number of messages in the outgoing folder seems to
> grow each day.  I've had to resort to writing a cron script that cleans
> out messages in this folder that are more than a few days old and the
> James process seems to steadily sit at 49% CPU utilization.  Anyone have
> any examples of working numbers?
>
> Thanks,
> Ricardo

Re: Production Setttings

Posted by ap...@bago.org.
> Could anyone out there that's using James in a production
> system give me an idea of what parameters they use for their
> config file?  At any given time, our production applications
> send out approximately 5000 emails a day.  Currently, our
> config file is set to have 100 outgoing threads and
> 75 spool threads.

I've got similar threads and it spools 150000 mails per day.
Consider that outgoing spool is full of ready to be sent message but also
delayed message (message non deliverable at a given time and james retry a
number of times in 5 days).
You should never delete messages from outgoing spool.
Check the RemoteDelivery configuration and put a lower number on
"maxRetries".

If you don't need high deliverability standards then you can use this
configuration:
<delayTime> 10 minutes </delayTime>
<delayTime> 60 minutes </delayTime>
<delayTime>  6 hours </delayTime>
<maxRetries> 8 </maxRetries>

> The messages in the spool are getting
> processed just fine.  However, the number of messages in the
> outgoing folder seems to grow each day.  I've had to resort
> to writing a cron script that cleans out messages in this
> folder that are more than a few days old and the James
> process seems to steadily sit at 49% CPU utilization.  Anyone
> have any examples of working numbers?

Your numbers are working numbers. This 49% CPU and "outgoing folder seems to
grow each day" makes me think at a configuration error.
You should post your processors configuration.

Stefano