Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jason Axelson <ja...@referentia.com> on 2012/08/07 21:43:29 UTC

Connect to SOLR over socket file

Hi,

Is it possible to connect to SOLR over a socket file as is possible
with mysql? I've looked around and I get the feeling that I may be
mi-understanding part of SOLR's architecture.

Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Connect to SOLR over socket file

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Yes. You connect over a socket and talk HTTP. --wunder

Posted by Michael Kuhlmann <ku...@solarier.de>.
On 10.08.2012 04:42, Jason Axelson wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time
> finding any servlet containers that can serve over a unix domain
> socket. Also it looks like EmbeddedSolr won't work since I am not
> writing the application in Java (it's in Ruby on Rails and I'm using
> it through Sunspot).

As Chris already asked: Do you *really* need this? And why?

Linux socket files aren't *that* faster than IP connections to
localhost. Indeed, I doubt that a performance gain will ever be measurable.

-Kuli

Re: Connect to SOLR over socket file

Posted by Jon Drukman <jd...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 2:44 AM, Jason Axelson <ja...@referentia.com>wrote:

> You're correct that there is an underlying problem I'm trying to
> solve. The underlying problem is that due to the security policies I
> cannot run another service that listens on a TCP port, but a unix
> domain socket would be okay. It looks like I might have to go with
> mysql full-text search or something like metasearch (I'm using Ruby on
> Rails).

MySQL full text search is pretty terrible.  You'd be better off using
Lucene directly.

Who's in charge of your security policies?  Can you get dispensation to
listen on localhost only?

Re: Connect to SOLR over socket file

Posted by Jason Axelson <ja...@referentia.com>.
You're correct that there is an underlying problem I'm trying to
solve. The underlying problem is that due to the security policies I
cannot run another service that listens on a TCP port, but a unix
domain socket would be okay. It looks like I might have to go with
mysql full-text search or something like metasearch (I'm using Ruby on
Rails).

Jason

Posted by Jason Axelson <ja...@referentia.com>.
Hi Michael,