Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Robert Stagner <re...@usa.net> on 2004/05/22 00:44:59 UTC

Logging messages to a file

I'm new to this list, so forgive me if my question seems a bit off
topic.  I'm in the midst of developing an application using
commons-httpclient, and I've integrated the following code to include
debug level logging:

System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.Log",
"org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog");
System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showdatetime",
"true");
System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.httpclient.wire",
"debug");
System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.org.apache.commons.httpclient",
"debug");

With this code in place, I'm receiving the expected debug level messages
at the console.  However, my question is this....is there any way to
redirect this output to a file using some sort of system property
(similar to those used above)??  How could this be done??

Regards,
Rob

Re: Logging messages to a file

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Rob,

Commons logging (the logging framework used by HttpClient) does not
natively support anything more complicated than just writing to
console.  Fortunately it can make use of other logging systems like
log4j or java.util.logging.  Please take a look at the commons-logging
site <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/> and log4j
<http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/> for some more detail.

Mike