Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2023/05/22 22:53:43 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Python 3.11 support merged for Apache Airflow

Hello everyone,

I am glad to announce that I just merged
https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/27264 that implements Python 3.11
support for Airflow.

Python 3.11 brings a number of speed improvements for single-threaded
Python use-case.

It took a long time (Python 3.11 had been released in October 2022) due to
some backlog of dependencies - but after recent google provider,
apache-beam upgrades and today's release of providers, we can officially
get Python 3.11 support for Airflow and most providers.

The exceptions are "apache.hive" (currently excluded from Python 3.11
waiting for Cloudera to release python-sasl to be Python 3.11 compliant)
and "yandex" which is suspended until it gets Protobuf 3.4 support.

I sincerely hope Python 3.12 will be supported much faster after it is
ready.

J.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Python 3.11 support merged for Apache Airflow

Posted by Pierre Jeambrun <pi...@gmail.com>.
Well done, this is great!

I looked around on other projects for similar compatibility patches (numpy,
mypy, auto-sklearn etc...) and it seems there is no consensus on the
question. (feature, enhancement, misc etc.)

Excluding breeze image diff, the changeset is relatively small, I see no
harm in putting this in the hands of our user in the next patch.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Daniel Standish <da...@astronomer.io.INVALID>.
Congrats 🎉