Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/07 01:45:56 UTC

Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Hot off the presses!  The latest preview release of Tapestry, 5.4-alpha-3,
is now available.

Point your build tool of choice at the Maven repository:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetapestry-072/

Binary and source archives:

http://people.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry-releases/

What's new?

So much, I've kind of lost track; the main changes are:

Most assets are now accessed using a URL that incorporates a Adler32
checksum of the asset content.  Prior versions of Tapestry incorporated the
application version number into the URL.

What does this mean?  When you redeploy your web application, most assets
will have not changed: same content, same path, same checksum, therefore,
same URL. This means that client browsers will not have to re-download all
those assets again just because the application version number has changed.

Assets that have changed will have a different content hash, and therefore,
a different asset URL. Browsers will be sure to pull down those new
versions.

Modules are slightly different; because all JavaScript modules are expected
to start in a common root URL, there is no reasonable way to generate a
unique content hash for each; module URLs still use the application version
number. However, modules and all assets now also send an ETag header; this
means that module requests will still be sent, but will often get a 304
(resource not modified) response.

Obviously, this is a big change, and we're welcoming feedback.

Next up; we have first class support for jQuery.A little bit of symbol
tweaking, and Prototype and Scriptaculous are simply gone for good.

There's also been improvements to operation tracking, with more operations
performed during a request being tracked. This is useful for the part of
the exception report page that discusses what Tapestry did during a
request, leading up to the actual exception.

There's been big improvements, c/o Kalle, in terms of how exceptions are
reported, with finer control over what gets the full exception page, and
what doesn't.

For the rare places where public interfaces changed in incompatible ways,
there's now an @IncompatibleChange annotation for methods that have changed.

A few informational pages such as PageCatalog, ServiceStatus, and Hibernate
Statistics have been merged into a new single (extensible) page,
T5Dashboard.

... and lots more little changes, fixes, and improvements.

There's still a lot more to come, however.  Two principle improvements I'm
targeting for 5.4:

Proper server-side push/websocket support.

Built-in performance monitoring and reporting.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to see a sample of code and template before deciding if this is a
bug, or user error.  It is likely a bug, but I haven't had a chance to test
it.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by Charlouze <me...@charlouze.com>.

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by Charlouze <me...@charlouze.com>.

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by Charlouze <me...@charlouze.com>.

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by Charlouze <me...@charlouze.com>.

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by Charlouze <me...@charlouze.com>.
Hey everyone,

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by François Facon <fr...@atos.net>.

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
That's great news!

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by François Facon <fr...@atos.net>.

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

<gc...@cardaddy.com>wrote:

> I'm just curious if Tapestry5.4 will just be integrating the
> Tapestry-Jquery library?
>
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM, hantsy <ha...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> >
> > Created a new thread for it. Thanks
> >
> > On 4/7/2013 22:16, Bob Harner wrote:
> >> Hantsy, you might want to start a separate thread. Your question isn't
> >> about 5.4-alpha-3 at all.

> Tapestry 5.

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetapestry-072/

> incorporated

> re-download

> generate a
> 304

> symbol

> part of

> are
> and

> improvements

> George Christman
> www.CarDaddy.com
> P.O. Box 735
> Johnstown, New York

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by François Facon <fr...@atos.net>.
Howard go a step forward in jQuery integration by using coffeescript. So
Tapestry-jQuery.js that was provided by Tapestry-jQuery is no more needed.
Tapestry-jQuery have to be consider as a lib that ease the use of some
jQuery Plugin used by Kawwa.

Re: Tapestry 5.4-alpha-3

Posted by George Christman <gc...@cardaddy.com>.
I'm just curious if Tapestry5.4 will just be integrating the
Tapestry-Jquery library?

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM, hantsy <ha...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> Created a new thread for it. Thanks
>
> On 4/7/2013 22:16, Bob Harner wrote:
>> Hantsy, you might want to start a separate thread. Your question isn't
>> about 5.4-alpha-3 at all.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 9:23 AM, hantsy <ha...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
>>
>>> I want to know if Tapestry has plan to integrate with Java EE, such as
>>> how to use CDI with Tapestry, I know Tapestry has its DI container, it
>>> can be replaced with CDI?
>>>
>>> I have used Tapestry4 before, and know little about the newest Tapestry 5.
>>>

>>> Hantsy

>>> 5.4-alpha-3,

>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetapestry-072/

>>> the