Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/10 23:04:19 UTC

Bundled Buildr + JRuby distribution

Hi,

I've created an experimental distribution of Buildr 1.3.5 and JRuby 1.4.0
and made it available at:
http://people.apache.org/~boisvert/buildr-1.3.5-jruby-1.4.0.zip

The distro is 15M -- not too bad.  I've trimmed the packaged JRuby of
everything I could that didn't affect functionality, such as documentation
and Ruby 1.9 support.

To use it, simply
  1) unzip in a directory,
  2) set your PATH to point to the "bin" directory, and
  3) run "buildr" as usual.

Looking for feedback on how it works as a quick way to get yourself/other
people started.  If there's enough interest, it could become part of our
supported distros.

thanks,
alex

Re: Bundled Buildr + JRuby distribution

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
I filed JRUBY-4383 for this. Any help is much welcome!

Antoine

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I forgot about that.  Our JRuby code does require jruby-ffi.  Is it
> possible
> to bundle the appropriate native libs within a JRuby distribution?

Actually, the libs are already there.

boisvert@boog:/opt/boisvert/buildr-1.3.5-jruby-1.4.0/lib/native$ find . |
grep ffi
./x86_64-FreeBSD/libjffi-0.6.so
./i386-SunOS/libjffi-0.6.so
./i386-Windows/jffi-0.6.dll
./i386-Linux/libjffi-0.6.so
./s390x-Linux/libjffi-0.6.so
./darwin/libjffi-0.6.jnilib
./x86_64-SunOS/libjffi-0.6.so
./x86_64-Linux/libjffi-0.6.so
./i386-FreeBSD/libjffi-0.6.so
./sparc-SunOS/libjffi-0.6.so
./sparcv9-SunOS/libjffi-0.6.so

I can't make sense of the error message "Can't load AMD 64-bit .so on a AMD
64-bit platform", though.

Another thing to consider is that JRuby does have a jar-complete
> distribution which is a little easier to manage.  We would have to write a
> separate buildr script just for that distribution, but it might be an
> overall win in terms of manageability.

Yes, I think that's a logical second step.  I'd like to get things polished
with the current distro first.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.
I forgot about that.  Our JRuby code does require jruby-ffi.  Is it possible
to bundle the appropriate native libs within a JRuby distribution?

Another thing to consider is that JRuby does have a jar-complete
distribution which is a little easier to manage.  We would have to write a
separate buildr script just for that distribution, but it might be an
overall win in terms of manageability.

Daniel

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.

Posted by Greg Lucas <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Alex. I think I was wrong before about the workaround, but I just
tried your patch and that does solve the issue.

--
Greg Lucas

Re: Bundled Buildr + JRuby distribution

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Lucas <gr...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

I was seeing this with the ODE 1.x project, which just moved from Buildr
1.2.10 to 1.3.5. It turns out that if I explicitly add the test task on
the command line it does work as expected:

> buildr test=all test package

Otherwise, the test=all is ignored and the build aborts on the first test
failure:

> buildr test=all package

Not sure if that is expected behavior, but it was a change from buildr
1.2.10.

--
Greg Lucas

Re: Bundled Buildr + JRuby distribution

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Lucas <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hm - switched to JDK 1.6 and it seems to be running fine now.

TEST=all doesn't seem to work, the build stops on the first test failure.
But otherwise it is running.

~Greg

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexis Midon <al...@gmail.com>.
On Windows, it worked out of the box.
On Mac I had to make the ./bin/buildr file executable.

Thanks Alex!

Posted by Alexis Midon <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
Ok, updated the distro at

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
Ok, updated the distro at

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Sieger <ni...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

Posted by Nick Sieger <ni...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Assaf Arkin <as...@labnotes.org>.
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Ittay,
>
> I'm unclear as to whether we'll be able to distribute it on the Apache
> site.   We'll need to review the license on all packaged software against
> Apache policies.

Official Apache releases are source code and have to be clear of any
licensing issues.

There's more flexibility with convenience binary downloads (that are not
official releases), as long as they don't cause any licensing violations and
people won't get them confused with official releases.

Assaf

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ittay,

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.
Precompiling all of the .rb scripts is a really good idea.  That would
certainly help improve performance of the all-in-one bundle, especially on
JRuby 1.4 and later.

Daniel

Posted by Ittay Dror <it...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.