Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Johnie Ingram <jo...@debian.org> on 1998/08/04 20:11:34 UTC

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib

"Marc" == Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> writes:

Marc> Debian does it and it is a royal PITA.  "hmm, where will pine
Marc> be... no, isn't under free.  Let me go check non-free... no,
Marc> isn't there either.  Hmm, let me check their web site.  Oh.
Marc> They don't like the license so won't distribute it."

Unfortunately pine and qmail are special cases -- the authors simply
won't allow a modified, precompiled binary to be distributed, so
Debian ships only source (relevant part of license attached).

But non-freeness is the exception, not the rule.  Debian has 10x more
software in the official dist, fully Open Source.

However your ftp site is organized, I'd recommend each module be
available separately.  In apache-contrib, for instance, at least one
module had no license at all (mod_lock) and another said it would be
under the Apache license, if the Apache License could be used by third
parties, which it apparently can't be, so there's just a copyright
notice and no license (mod_allowdev).

I doubt I'm legally allowed to package all of those.

Incidentially, checking copyrights is as much a PITA as finding
non-free software.  :-)

---------------------  PGP  E4 70 6E 59 80 6A F5 78  63 32 BC FB 7A 08 53 4C

   __ _    Debian GNU         Johnie Ingram <jo...@netgod.net>      mm   mm
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __        "netgod"     irc.debian.org          mm mm
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <      Yes, I'm Linus, and I am your God.     mm   mm
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\       -- Linus, keynote address, Expo 98   GO BLUE

    Pine and Pico software and its included text are Copyright 1989-1997
    by the University of Washington.....

    Although the above trademark and copyright restrictions do not convey
    the right to redistribute derivative works, the University of
    Washington encourages unrestricted distribution of patch files which
    can be applied to the University of Washington Pine distribution.