Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Marco Barcella <ba...@appiancorp.com> on 2002/10/24 02:36:13 UTC

About Cactus and Quality Assurance

Hi,
I would really like to ask the following two things:
1) I am using cactus for unit testing. When should the testing start in
the process of developing some code (beginning, end), in order to have the
best Quality Assurance in the shortest time? And also how to integrate
the testing with the development? Any ideas or links would be greatly
appreciated.
2) Considering to extend Cactus for functional testing, what, other than
HttpUnit,
could/should I integrate? What are the fundamental limits I will encounter?
Thanks a lot,
Marco

RE: About Cactus and Quality Assurance

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
Vikas,

Most of the weaknesses are mentioned on that page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/mockobjects.html

More specifically, I would say:

- it is not a generic framework in the sense that it needs specific
development for each API. If tomorrow you wanted to unit test OJB
components (or CORBA servant), cactus would not help you for example.

- setup is not easy if you're not familiar with container
setup/classloaders. However, this is an area that the Cactus team is
addressing right now. We are concentrating a lot on the Cactus front end
to make it seamless for end users: Maven plugin (already functional),
Eclipse plugin (work in progress), Jetty seamless integration, Cactus
application (not there yet).

- as a user that gives you one more strategy (in-container testing) to
choose from and thus you have define what strategy you want to use on a
given project: when are you going to use JUnit and Mock Objects, when
are you going to use Cactus. Are you going to use standalone HttpUnit or
not, etc. Hopefully, this is currently maturing and we see more and more
where each one fits in the puzzle. There are also books in progress
(including one I am writing) that should help.

But the best persons to answer your question are the other Cactus users!
Let's hear what they have to say! :-)

Cheers,
-Vincent

and

Posted by Vikas Malla <ma...@yahoo.co.in>.
Vincent,

Posted by Marco Barcella <ba...@appiancorp.com>.
Thanks a lot,
I think your email was very helpful for me, I will be
even more specific:

1) Using Ant, and running 10 tests in one build.xml,
how can I complete all of them, even if the third one
(for example) fails. Right now, since I don't catch
the exceptions the build fails and the following tests
are not run.

2) I am thinking about this functional test:
I click on a link and then I submit a form, then
I go and click on a second link and check if the
result of that form submission is in the state and
is correct. I would like to do this in one single test
as the two requests (first and second link) are related.
What is the best way to do it and extend the concept to
multiple requests in series?

Thanks a lot,
Marco

<>> I would really like to ask the following two things:
<>> 1) I am using cactus for unit testing. When should the testing start
<>in
<>> the process of developing some code (beginning, end), in order to have
<>the
<>> best Quality Assurance in the shortest time? And also how to integrate
<>> the testing with the development? Any ideas or links would be greatly
<>> appreciated.
<>
[...]
<>>
<>>
<>>
<>> --
<>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:cactus-user-
<>> unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
<>> For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:cactus-user-
<>> help@jakarta.apache.org>
<>
<>
<>