Posted to user@flink.apache.org by M Singh <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2019/07/01 10:30:58 UTC

Re: Apache Flink - Running application with different flink configurations (flink-conf.yml) on EMR

 Thanks Jeff and Xintong for your pointers.
    On Friday, June 28, 2019, 10:44:35 AM EDT, Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is due to flink doesn't unify the execution in different enviroments. The community has discuss it before about how to enhance the flink client api. The initial proposal is to introduce FlinkConf which contains all the configuration so that we can unify the executions in all environments (IDE, CLI, SQL Client, Scala Shell, downstream project)
Here's the sample code:

val conf = new FlinkConf().setProperty(“key_1”, “value_1”)     // create FlinkConf

val env = new ExecutionEnvironment(conf)   // create ExecutionEnvironment

val jobId = env.submit(...)           // non-blocking job submission (detached mode)

val jobStatus = env.getClusterClient().queryJobStatus(jobId)   // approach 1: query job status via ClusterClient

 val jobStatus = env.queryJobStatus(jobId)   // approach 2: query job status via ExecutionEnvironment.

And you can refer this for more details:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VavBrYn8vJeZs-Mhu5VzKO6xrWCF40aY0nlQ_UVVTRg/edit?usp=sharing

Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com> 于2019年6月28日周五 下午10:28写道:

Hi, Singh,
I don't think that should work. The -D or -yD parameters needs to be passed to the Flink start-up scripts or the "flink run" command. I don't think the IntelliJ VM arguments are equivalent to that. In fact, I'm not aware of any method to set "-D" parameters when running jobs IDE.

Thank you~

Xintong Song

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 8:45 PM M Singh <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 Hi Xintong:
I passed the -Dparallelism.default=2 in the  run configuration VM arguments for IntelliJ.
So what I am looking for is a way to overwrite the config parameters which are defined in the flink-config.yaml file (parallelism.default is just an example) which would be picked up regardless of the env (eg: locally, on yarn or IDE).  When I run the application in IDE (locally) with the above mentioned VM parameter, the StreamExecutionEnvironment.config does not show this value and the Flink UI shows configuration parameter parallelism as 8.  Is there any other place where I can see the parameter settings ?
Thanks.
    On Thursday, June 27, 2019, 11:58:28 PM EDT, Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Could you provide some more details on how you run your job with -D options in IDE?

Thank you~

Xintong Song

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 5:03 AM M Singh <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 Hi Xintong:  Thanks for your pointers.
I tried -Dparallelism.default=2 locally (in IDE) and it did not work.  Do you know if there is a common way that would work both for emr, locally and ide ?
Thanks again.
    On Thursday, June 27, 2019, 12:03:06 AM EDT, Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi Singh,
You can use the environment variable "FLINK_CONF_DIR" to specify path to the directory of config files. You can also override config options with command line arguments prefixed -D (for yarn-session.sh) or -yD (for 'flink run' command).

Thank you~

Xintong Song

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 9:13 PM M Singh <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi:
I have a single EMR cluster with Flink and want to run multiple applications on it with different flink configurations.  Is there a way to
1. Pass the config file name for each application, or2. Overwrite the config parameters via command line arguments for the application.  This is similar to how we can overwrite the default parameters in spark
I searched the documents and have tried using ParameterTool with the config parameter names, but it has not worked as yet.
Thanks for your help.
Mans

--
Best Regards