Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Evagelos CHAIDACIS <ev...@talan.com> on 2017/01/11 14:51:19 UTC

Phoenix ODBC driver

Hi Phoenix,
In scope of a client project I'm trying to use Phoenix with a reporting tool (Qlikview) to implement live reports on data entered by end users: users input data in a web console that puts them in HBase via Phoenix and then they refresh their reports running on Phoenix in Qlikview to analyse the impacts of the data they entered. All this is running a kerberized cluster. The data are entered on a specific grain that is restricted to a couple of axis and therefore can be easily managed in Phoenix / Hbase.
This scenario is something I'd like to implement using an ODBC driver in Qlikview to connect to Phoenix: this way we can leverage a Qlik feature called "direct mode" to trigger live queries against Phoenix while browsing the reports and setting filters. this feature works only with ODBC connections.
I've been trying to use the Hortonworks Phoenix ODBC driver but it doesn't work due to the fact that my client doesn't use AD with Kerberos. I got a feedback from the support that the Hortonworks ODBC driver is built on this link between Kerberos and AD.
The Phoenix ODBC driver uses a transport of HTTP (via libcurl) as that is what PQS requires. Libcurl (on windows) only has the support to communicate with the AD controller. This is to be expected as this is the "standard" way to do this on Windows \u2013 it hooks into the native Windows API calls for authentication.
This is not the configuration implemented and the AD is not used for projects nor applications but only to manage employees, and this can't be changed.
Could you advise on any other way to achieve this?
Is there an ODBC driver currently in development or planned?

Thanks for your help and feedbacks
Evagelos

Re: Phoenix ODBC driver

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
There's been chatter of building an ODBC driver in Apache Calcite
channels (as PQS is built on Avatica which falls under the Calcite
umbrella) but no one has stepped up to build such a driver yet.

The driver available via Hortonworks/Simba is the only one I am
presently aware of.