Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/09 02:51:19 UTC

[WWD] Check of edits from : Review of Final Chapters (5 and 6)

John Embretsen wrote:

> ===   SNIP  ====
> <quote 1 from "Activity notes", p.6 (8)>
> A client program is often created to allow database access and updates
> from multiple computers on the network.
> </quote>
>
> I don't think this statement is correct. It is not the "client
> program" that allows access from multiple computers, it is the server
> framework that does this. Would you like to rephrase?
>

> <quote 2 from "Activity notes", p.6 (8)>
> Derby's two architectures have caused confusion for some new Derby
> users. They mistakenly think that embedded is a single user
> configuration. Not true. The embedded driver supports multiple
> simultaneous connections, performs locking and provides performance,
> integrity and recoverability.
> </quote>

====  SNIP  ====

John and other derby-users -

I have rewritten the two the paragraphs mentioned above to address the
points made by John.  Please let me know what you think.

quote 1 from "Activity notes", p.6 (8)  REWRITE:
In a client / server environment the client program is often used from
other computers on the network. ...

quote 2 from "Activity notes", p.6 (8) REWRITE:
Derby's two architectures have caused confusion for some new Derby
users. They mistakenly think that embedded is a single user
configuration. This is not true. The embedded driver supports multiple
simultaneous connections, performs locking and provides performance,
integrity and recoverability. Any embedded application can open multiple
Derby connections and then provide a means for multiple users to
interact with the database on each connection. The Derby Network Server
is an example of such an application.

Re: [WWD] Check of edits from : Review of Final Chapters (5 and 6)

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
This is my bad -- the web site is linking to workingwithderby.pdf
instead of to WorkingWithDerby.pdf.  --I didn't catch the name change on
the web site.

fixing ....

 -jean

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> The various versions of WWD at
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html#latest
>
> are out of date. The PDF version only has the first activity.

thanks for the catch. The html versions have everything that has been
committed to date, but there must be a problem with the pdf build.

 -jean

Re: [WWD] Check of edits from : Review of Final Chapters (5 and 6)

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.
John, as always, your suggestions are helpful,  thank you.  I will use
your improved wording in quote 2.
  [EOM]

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.

--