Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Ryan Blue <bl...@apache.org> on 2020/08/20 00:05:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] Rename iceberg-hive module?

In the discussion this morning, we talked about what to name the runtime
module we want to add for Hive, iceberg-hive-runtime. Unfortunately,
iceberg-hive is the Hive _metastore_ module, so it is a bit misleading to
name the Hive runtime module iceberg-hive-runtime. It was also pointed out
that the iceberg-hive module is confusing for other reasons: someone
unfamiliar with it would expect to use it to work with Hive, but it has no
InputFormat or StorageHandler classes.

Both problems are a result of a poor name for iceberg-hive. Maybe we should
rename iceberg-hive to iceberg-hive-metastore.

The drawback is that a module people could use will disappear (I'm assuming
we won't rename iceberg-mr to iceberg-hive right away). But most people
probably use a runtime Jar, so it might be a good time to make this change
before there are more people depending on it.

What does everyone think? Should we do the rename?

rb

--
Ryan Blue

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename iceberg-hive module?

Posted by Mass Dosage <ma...@gmail.com>.
I have raised a PR for this: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/1418

Please take a look and comment.

Thanks,

Adrian

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename iceberg-hive module?

Posted by John Zhuge <jz...@apache.org>.
+1 for the rename

--
John Zhuge

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename iceberg-hive module?

Posted by Junjie Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename iceberg-hive module?

Posted by Saisai Shao <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the changes.

Posted by Mass Dosage <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.

--
Best, Jingsong Lee

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename iceberg-hive module?

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RD <rd...@gmail.com>.