Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/11 10:19:04 UTC

Creating and releasing OSGi bundles

L.S.,

Last night, I was looking for a bundle for Sun's JNA and I created a
pom.xml for generating it in our own bundles project.  However, we can
not release this at Apache because JNA is LGPL-licensed.

This raises the question if our Apache project is the ideal place for
creating and releasing those bundles.  Most of the things we use have
an Apache-compatible license, but for the other stuff we would need to
look for another location.  Wouldn't it be a better idea to move all
of the bundles to another location instead of having things at two
distinct locations?  Any suggestions on where to move things?

On the other hand, the SpringSource folks already have a large set of
bundles that are publicly available at
http://www.springsource.com/repository/app/.  Do we want to
build/maintain our own bundles next to those available or should we
just use what's available out there?

Thoughts?

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com

Re: Creating and releasing OSGi bundles

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
So releasing bundles under Apache license, AL compatible licenses or
even binary compatible licenses is permitted at the ASF as shown at
[1]
This obviously does not cover JNA library for example which is LGPL.
So in all cases, if we want to provide users with a bundle, we'd have
to do so outside the ASF.

However, there is a workaround, which is to release a file containing
the bnd instructions and use the pax wrap url handler [2] to point to
this file and wrap the bundle on the fly.

The main problem I have with the spring source bundle repository is
that it's not synced to central, and we should avoid as much as
possible to use other repositories.  So this also means that we would
be strongly dependant on SpringSource to continue supporting their
bundle repo.

I think this discussion is broader than just servicemix as more and
more Apache projects are switching to OSGi and we need to work
together with the other projects I think.

So I think we have several questions:
  1) how do we want to handle optional depedencies not AL compatible
  2) do we want to reuse spring source repo
  3) do we want a single location for all our bundles
  4) do we want that inside the ASF

But I think everything depends on the following question: do we want
to provide bundles for our projects, or do we want to provide bundles
for our users.  The scope of the work will definitely drive answers to
#1 which then impacts #4.

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#osgi-category-b
[2] http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxurl/Wrap+Protocol

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:19, Gert Vanthienen
<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> L.S.,
>
> Last night, I was looking for a bundle for Sun's JNA and I created a
> pom.xml for generating it in our own bundles project.  However, we can
> not release this at Apache because JNA is LGPL-licensed.
>
> This raises the question if our Apache project is the ideal place for
> creating and releasing those bundles.  Most of the things we use have
> an Apache-compatible license, but for the other stuff we would need to
> look for another location.  Wouldn't it be a better idea to move all
> of the bundles to another location instead of having things at two
> distinct locations?  Any suggestions on where to move things?
>
> On the other hand, the SpringSource folks already have a large set of
> bundles that are publicly available at
> http://www.springsource.com/repository/app/.  Do we want to
> build/maintain our own bundles next to those available or should we
> just use what's available out there?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Gert,

I think that we need to distinguish two topics:
1/ for a logical point of view:
	- in which project the bundles are embedded
	- what's groupId we need to use
2/ for a technical point of view:
	- where the bundles are releases and exposed (OBR)

 From my point of view:
- the SMX project needs to manage only SMX related bundles (for example,
component bundles, etc). The groupId still org.apache.servicemix
- tiers bundles (such as the one in smx4/bundles) should be maybe
embedded in a more generic project (such as apache-bundles or something
like thin) with a groupId different from the org.apache.servicemix one.
Nevertheless it has an impact for us (especially around features as the
groupId changes).
- as more and more apache projects provide bundles (like us, commons,
cxf, etc), all this kind of bundles should be available on a central
OBR. As discussed yesterday, the nexus OBR extension can be very helpful.

Regards
JB

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
This is a question that I have already debate with Guillaume in the past. If
I remember that was concerning the bundles created for servicemix project (I
mean SMX4 - Apache SM4 which is now Apache Felix Karaf).

My suggestion is to have something like : Fusesource could be the right
place for that --> http://fusesource/repository/bundles

If fusesource can handle code source with different licensing mode. That
would be great.

Charles Moulliard
Senior Enterprise Architect
Apache Camel Committer