Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2011/10/29 01:26:26 UTC

Major blocker for 0.2.0 and a suggested resolution

Folks,

based on the level of incompatibility that Sqoop has with any release of
Hadoop prior to 0.21 documented here:

I'm inclined to disable it in Bigtop 0.2.0. This is unfortunate, but I don't
think anybody is willing to commit to that level of working around
differences in Hadoop versions.

Chime in if you disagree, otherwise -- I'll push Sqoop out of 0.2.0 on
Monday.

Thanks,
Roman (wearing the RM hat).

Re: Major blocker for 0.2.0 and a suggested resolution

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Roman,
>
> What's the upstream Sqoop jira? I don't see anything linked in BIGTOP-203.

Filed one just in case:
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SQOOP-384
Although, according to Arvind, this is very unlikely to be fixed.

> Is there a workaround, ie have you explored the gray area between
> removing sqoop from 0.2.0 and leaving it in broken?

I don't thinks there's one. But, if Arvind has something up his sleeve --
I'd love to see it ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Major blocker for 0.2.0 and a suggested resolution

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
Roman,

What's the upstream Sqoop jira? I don't see anything linked in BIGTOP-203.

Is there a workaround, ie have you explored the gray area between
removing sqoop from 0.2.0 and leaving it in broken?

Thanks,
Eli

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Oh well

+1

good riddance...

Posted by Peter Linnell` <pl...@cloudera.com>.
> Folks,
>
> based on the level of incompatibility that Sqoop has with any release of
> Hadoop prior to 0.21 documented here:
>      https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-203
>
> I'm inclined to disable it in Bigtop 0.2.0. This is unfortunate, but I don't
> think anybody is willing to commit to that level of working around
> differences in Hadoop versions.
>
> Chime in if you disagree, otherwise -- I'll push Sqoop out of 0.2.0 on
> Monday.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman (wearing the RM hat).

+1 to disable squoop

It needs other work as well e,g won't build on openSUSE 11.4.

Peter

Re: Major blocker for 0.2.0 and a suggested resolution

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
> Folks,
>
> based on the level of incompatibility that Sqoop has with any release of
> Hadoop prior to 0.21 documented here:
>      https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-203
>
> I'm inclined to disable it in Bigtop 0.2.0. This is unfortunate, but I don't
> think anybody is willing to commit to that level of working around
> differences in Hadoop versions.
>
> Chime in if you disagree, otherwise -- I'll push Sqoop out of 0.2.0 on
> Monday.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman (wearing the RM hat).

+1
If sqoop does not meet basic criteria, we should disable it.