Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marcos Guerrero Gomez <ma...@soitsa-intesys.com> on 2006/06/13 16:24:12 UTC

Axis application running on Tomcat 4.1.31 in Windows XP as NT Service cannot access network units

Hello!

Our AXIS Web Service Application, using
*AXIS 1.2.1
*Tomcat 4.1.31
*Windows XP Professional SP2

The application try to open a file in a network unit to read it.
(network unit like z:/, connected to other computer in my network like
//computer2/commonresource/)
When we start Tomcat as "normal" application, using the tomcat script
startup.bat the application works fine (opens the file and reads it),
but when we start Tomcat as NT service, the application is not able to
read the same file in the same unit, we get a FileNotFoundException. The
file, obviously, exists, and the network unit has read and write
permissions for all users.
The application works fine in the two ways (normal application and NT service) if the file is in a local unit (such C:/)

We have disabled the windows XP firewall, and we have changed the user
credentials to start the service with the same user as the logged user
(that is able to open the network units through the windows explorer)
but the behavior doesn't change.
Any suggestions? Thank you very much in advance,
Marcos Guerrero

Re: Axis application running on Tomcat 4.1.31 in Windows XP as NT Service cannot access network units

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Marcos Guerrero Gomez wrote:
> We have disabled the windows XP firewall, and we have changed the user
> credentials to start the service with the same user as the logged user
> (that is able to open the network units through the windows explorer)
> but the behavior doesn't change.
> Any suggestions? Thank you very much in advance,
> Marcos Guerrero

I am pretty sure windows doesn't make mapped networks drives available
by default to services. You could try one of the following:
- access the resource via a UNC path
- add some code to map the drive in your app (context listener)

HTH,

Mark