Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com> on 2002/11/02 19:40:30 UTC

on the SVG tool post from Betrand

[I think he posted it to this list, either that or cocoon-dev, but I deleted it
and it is not showing in the archives yet]

Betrand asked about an open source SVG drawing tool. I do not know of one, but I
think you could put one together in Flash.

Now, I would rather smoke a turd than work in the painful Flash interface, but
there are some really cool things you can do (constant connections without page
reloads). Here is a good article I just came across:

http://www.devshed.com/Client_Side/Flash/XMLSockets/page2.html

I remember seeing some example drawing applications floating around. They could
be adapted to send the properties of the drawing to the server in SVG XML. Or
data could be saved from the authoring app to be used by a viewer app. You make
the viewer app in flash that reads a some XML config stream to setup some basic
UI objects, finds the data file and it displays the rendering -- perhaps with
additional functionality built into the player. Or you could make a multiuser
whiteboard. Lots of things...

I wish I had time to work on something like that, but I don't currently. But I
could help out if someone takes the lead.

best,
-Rob

Re: on the SVG tool post from Betrand

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
FYI I have summarized the replies that I got at
http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=GraphicalWikiDream.

Thanks for the feedback - I won't have time right now to investigate further
but will keep you posted if anything happens...

- BeRtrand

Re: on the SVG tool post from Betrand [OT]

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>(sorry about being OT, the discussion started on cocoon-dev and magically
>moved here ;-)
>
>On Monday 04 November 2002 15:38, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>. . .
>>Ok. I think there must be some misunderstanding here since I didn't read
>>Bertrand's original post and so don't know exactly what he's looking for.
>>. . .
>>

>I was talking about allowing *editable drawings* to work on concepts and
>design on the wiki, see
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103622657919912&w=2

Well, I know of TWiki's drawing plugin, but it's already mentioned on
the Cocoon wiki.

Yes it does ! Check out http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/main.html

>I'd go for a JDK 1.1 applet if possible. "Universal accesibility" is more
>important than SVG in this case I think,

I agree with this, even if IMHO SVG _will_ become more and more "universal".

>see my notes
>at http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=GraphicalWikiDream

The refresh rate of this page is amazing !

Sylvain

Re: on the SVG tool post from Betrand [OT]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
(sorry about being OT, the discussion started on cocoon-dev and magically
moved here ;-)

On Monday 04 November 2002 15:38, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>. . .
> Ok. I think there must be some misunderstanding here since I didn't read
> Bertrand's original post and so don't know exactly what he's looking for.
>. . .

I was talking about allowing *editable drawings* to work on concepts and
design on the wiki, see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103622657919912&w=2

>. . .Note : I don't want to start a SVG against Flash flame, but just show
> that in an XML world, SVG rocks on the client side if you accept to use
> Adobe's plugin.
>. . .

Which does not exist for Linux IIRC?

I'd go for a JDK 1.1 applet if possible. "Universal accesibility" is more
important than SVG in this case I think, see my notes

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.

> >This will render in Adobe's plugin, but not in Batik (and therefore
> FOP). (The fill:none does not work).
> >

> ??? A quick check with an old Batik 1.0 displays just fine.

Perhaps its a FOP bug (are you sure you are seeing it correctly? should be
transparent boxes - fill:none), I don't remember exactly, but it won't display
when using FOP

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Robert Koberg wrote:

>Hi,

Anyway, I can say that, in a Cocoon world, Adobe's SVG plugin is far
more useful than the Flash plugin. I've done some very nice things in
SVG with a few lines of XSL and a bunch of JavaScript functions, and I
don't know how I could have achieved the same in flash.

Ah, and a few more links :
- http://sodipodi.sf.net : opensource drawing tool whose native format
is SVG
- http://www.protocol7.com/default.asp?x=projdoc/p7_xmlrpc_svg : an
XML-RPC integration in SVG.

The second one is tied to Adobe's plugin, but allows nice things like
refreshing a monitoring diagram without reloading the whole SVG. I guess
this is similar to the XML features of flash, and it's here nicely
integrated with standard JavaScript and DOM.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.