Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by paul womack <pw...@papermule.co.uk> on 2006/02/14 16:16:34 UTC

[Fwd: Re: log4j 1.3 alpha 8 release now available]

Mark Womack wrote:
> This version contains many changes to bring it back to better
> compatibility with log4j version 1.2.X, and more changes are planned for
> the upcoming alpha9 release as well. Users are encouraged to test this
> version with custom code that they have previously written for log4j
> version 1.2.X and to report any issues to the log4j dev email list.

INCOMPATIBILITY and DOCUMENTATION OUT OF SYNC WITH CODE

In 1.2.8 I had extended PatternLayout to add 2 conversion
letters, giving me full stack dumps, and "terse" stack
dumps (instead of the always on, full stack dump
of PatternLayout).

Since the internal structure of PatterLayout
have changed, and I was using non-documented
internal classes, I have bought this on myself.
I have no complaints. But it provided good
results for coupla' years...

The overview doc for PatternLayout
http://www.qos.ch/logging/PatternLayout.jsp
speaks of facilities in PatternLayout
for adding new PatternConverters.

I would have been happy to alter my
code to use this (more official) approach.

Sadly, the facilities do not
appear to be present in the 1.3 alpha-8.

Intriguingly they were present in 1.3 alpha-1
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:S_wrbFAOLogJ:logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api-1.3/org/apache/log4j/PatternLayout.html+addConversionRule&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=1&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8

I would (very much) like to use the documented method
for adding PatternConverter to Pattern Layout.

Any chance?

    BugBear