Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com> on 2008/08/17 14:09:17 UTC

Understanding Bayes journal sync

I have started to use a different method to call SA on some of my machines
than I used in the past because the web interface (ISPConfig) I chose
integrates with SA and clamav (via clamassassin). This is now "classic" SA
calling via procmail. The other methods I used before and still use on
other machines are MailScanner and a special spamc-like milter. There I
have never seen this problem.
So, what happens is that users get completely blank mail after the first
one or two weeks of use. When I ran sa -D it became apparent that it's
trying to sync the Bayes journal and couldn't acquire a lock because there
already were two lockfiles: bayes_journal.lock and
bayes_journal.<FQDN>.lock or some such. The journal had grown to about 55
MB. That somehow led to a timeout and the empty mail. Once I removed the
lock files and ran a --sync it took only a few seconds to finish the sync.
I would like to know how this locking problem can happen as it could
frequently spoil the "user experience". I assume it could happen (similar
to bayes expiry) when it's time to sync and the sa run or the sync itself
times out and is killed by the procmail process, leaving behind the
lockfile, or so? Other possible causes?
What's the best method to avoid it? There's no setting like
bayes_auto_expire for the journal sync. Should I set the
bayes_journal_max_size to 100 MB or so and then run a nightly sync?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: Understanding Bayes journal sync

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Kai Schaetzl wrote on Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:09:17 +0200:

> Should I set the
> bayes_journal_max_size to 100 MB or so and then run a nightly sync?

I reread the conf page. Of course, 0 would be the correct setting to stop
the fly-by syncing.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany