Posted to droids-dev@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/07 00:02:41 UTC

Name search

Hi Droids!

I noticed on your quarterly you listed name search as a big issue and a
little intimidating.  If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to help get you
through the process.  Just let me know.

Thanks,

John

Re: Name search

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
While I may have described it wrong (my opinion), the initial search
results show the name "droids" as overly used, with no mention of the
current project anywhere near the top.

Re: Name search

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ant,

please try again. Was off in vacations so the moderation may got stucked
on my end.

salu2

--
Thorsten Scherler <scherler.at.gmail.com>
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems

http://www.codebusters.es/

Re: Name search

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
How's this coming?

Re: Name search

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: Name search

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Name search

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Name search

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Name search

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 08/18/2014 09:45 PM, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> On 08/07/2014 07:46 AM, Tim Williams wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM, John D. Ament
>> <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So, the first step is for you guys to tell me how you got to the name
>>> "Droids."  I'm assuming it was established before the podling name
>>> search
>>> came into existence.
>> It started as a Labs project[1] and predates the name search.  It's
>> hard to recall exactly but it feels like it also predates the
>> popularization of "Android" as well.  I gather most folks think more
>> of the Star Wars sense.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --tim
>>
>> [1] -
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/labs-labs/200702.mbox/%3C1170850642.8380.31.camel@localhost%3E
>
> Thorsten named it, but I'm guessing you're right.
>
> Since Android and the Droid line (mostly from Verizon and Motorola)
> came out, more people are going to think it is Android related than
> not. What do we need to do for the name search? Do we just abort and
> develop a new name? Would that make life easier when it comes to this
> process?

Yeah, it was because of the droids of star war as in robots.

I think we do not need to observe the old name and can choose anything
that pleases us.

salu2

Re: Name search

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.