Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Ames <gr...@remulak.net> on 2001/06/16 00:26:21 UTC

new daedalus build

I put a new apache 2.0 build up on daedalus for a while this afternoon.
This was from a cvs up done early this afternoon.  It was serving
requests like gangbusters for about a minute and a half.  But I had to
take it back down because it was also spewing the following stuff to the
error logs at a pretty high rate:

[Fri Jun 15 14:20:21 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
writing data to the network
[Fri Jun 15 14:20:24 2001] [error] (57)Socket is not connected:
core_output_filter: writing data to the network
[Fri Jun 15 14:20:24 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
writing data to the network
[Fri Jun 15 14:20:25 2001] [error] (57)Socket is not connected:
core_output_filter: writing data to the network
[Fri Jun 15 14:20:25 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
writing data to the network
[Fri Jun 15 14:20:27 2001] [error] (57)Socket is not connected:
core_output_filter: writing data to the network
[Fri Jun 15 14:20:27 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
writing data to the network

I *think* this is normal stuff for a production server, and that maybe
the log level just needs tweaking.  I almost convinced Jeff of this too,
but it sounds like he wants to make sure there's not some more serious
breakage going on.

Anyway, the 2.0 code base is in pretty good shape at the moment IMO.
I'd like to see it tagged once we do something about these log errors.

I'm off to the high seas for a couple of weeks.  See you when I get
back.

Greg

Re: new daedalus build

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
> I was curious about "(57)Socket is not connected".  After looking
> through the kernel sources it seems that this is a similar error but
> in a later TCP state.  This is returned when SS_ISCONNECTED is off and
> we try to write.  SS_ISCONNECTED gets cleared (for TCP, at least) by
> sodisconnect(), which gets called when we enter FIN_WAIT_2 or
> TIME_WAIT state.  I'm no TCP expert, but I'm pretty confident that
> this is a normal error.
>
> It is easy to see why we're getting these log messages with the
> current code but not with 2.0.16 which has been running on daedalus
> for a while.  Right after 2.0.16 David Reid moved a ap_log_error()
> call from send_the_file() to the core output filter.  We didn't see
> errors in send_the_file() on daedalus before because FreeBSD will take
> the apr_sendfile() path, bypassing the only 2.0.16 code which would
> log this type of error.

Yeah, before then we were ignoring the error and it hid a nasty bug that
needed fixing.  ISTR you sat beside me at apachecon while I added that one
:)  Thanks for fixing the priortiy.

david

Re: new daedalus build

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Greg Ames <gr...@remulak.net> writes:

> I put a new apache 2.0 build up on daedalus for a while this afternoon.
> This was from a cvs up done early this afternoon.  It was serving
> requests like gangbusters for about a minute and a half.  But I had to
> take it back down because it was also spewing the following stuff to the
> error logs at a pretty high rate:
>
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:21 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
> writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:24 2001] [error] (57)Socket is not connected:
> core_output_filter: writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:24 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
> writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:25 2001] [error] (57)Socket is not connected:
> core_output_filter: writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:25 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
> writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:27 2001] [error] (57)Socket is not connected:
> core_output_filter: writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:27 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
> writing data to the network
>
> I *think* this is normal stuff for a production server, and that maybe
> the log level just needs tweaking.  I almost convinced Jeff of this too,
> but it sounds like he wants to make sure there's not some more serious
> breakage going on.

"(32)Broken pipe" is certainly business as usual.

[...]

The "fix" is to bump the severity down from APLOG_ERR to something
lower.  I'll look to 1.3 for guidance...  If no guidance found I'll
make it APLOG_NOTICE.

> Anyway, the 2.0 code base is in pretty good shape at the moment IMO.
> I'd like to see it tagged once we do something about these log
> errors.

I think it likely that current CVS is the most stable yet.  Certainly
it fixes some issues that have caused some grief and beyond the noisy
log I don't know of anything which is regressed when compared with
2.0.16.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: new daedalus build

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Sander Temme <sc...@covalent.net> writes:

> on 6/15/01 3:26 PM, Greg Ames at gregames@remulak.net wrote:
>
> > I *think* this is normal stuff for a production server, and that maybe
> > the log level just needs tweaking.  I almost convinced Jeff of this too,
>
> Note that 1.3 ships with the error log level set to 'warn'. I set that to
> 'error' a while ago and also saw broken pipes happen.

Did you mean you set it to 'info' a while ago and started seeing
broken pipes?  AFAICT 1.3 uses APLOG_INFO for this type of error.  I
changed 2.0 to use APLOG_INFO as well so that it matches 1.3's
behavior.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: new daedalus build

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@covalent.net>.
on 6/15/01 3:26 PM, Greg Ames at gregames@remulak.net wrote:

> I *think* this is normal stuff for a production server, and that maybe
> the log level just needs tweaking.  I almost convinced Jeff of this too,

Note that 1.3 ships with the error log level set to 'warn'. I set that to
'error' a while ago and also saw broken pipes happen.

S.

--
Covalent Technologies                             sctemme@covalent.net
Engineering group                                Voice: (415) 536 5214

   PGP Fingerprint: 1E74 4E58 DFAC 2CF5 6A03  5531 AFB1 96AF B584 0AB1

use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
of the original message

Re: new daedalus build

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Greg Ames wrote:

> I put a new apache 2.0 build up on daedalus for a while this afternoon.
> This was from a cvs up done early this afternoon.  It was serving
> requests like gangbusters for about a minute and a half.  But I had to
> take it back down because it was also spewing the following stuff to the
> error logs at a pretty high rate:
>
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:21 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
> writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:24 2001] [error] (57)Socket is not connected:
> core_output_filter: writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:24 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
> writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:25 2001] [error] (57)Socket is not connected:
> core_output_filter: writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:25 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
> writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:27 2001] [error] (57)Socket is not connected:
> core_output_filter: writing data to the network
> [Fri Jun 15 14:20:27 2001] [error] (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter:
> writing data to the network
>
> I *think* this is normal stuff for a production server, and that maybe
> the log level just needs tweaking.  I almost convinced Jeff of this too,
> but it sounds like he wants to make sure there's not some more serious
> breakage going on.
>
> Anyway, the 2.0 code base is in pretty good shape at the moment IMO.
> I'd like to see it tagged once we do something about these log errors.

I disagree.  We still have the shutdown problems with the threaded MPMs.
I am finally implementing the logic I posted a while back, I should have a
patch later this weekend.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131