Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Aaron Dalton <aa...@daltons.ca> on 2008/05/07 23:10:10 UTC

xindice tool and port number

I did a search via Google and the mailing list and I can't seem to find
a solution.  The xindice cmd-line tool apparently checks for Xindice at
port 8888.  This is not what I want.  I checked the script itself and
all my config files and can't find anywhere where the digits 8888
appear.  How do I tell the cmd-line tools where exactly the server is?
The only direct reference I could find directed me to the wiki for an
environment variable, but I can't find anything there either.

I was walking through the 1.1 admin guide and simply trying to add a
collection: xindice add_collection -c /var/db/xindice/sdg -n users

Colophon:
   - Xindice 1.1
   - Tomcat 5.5
   - Debian Linux (etch)

Thanks again for your help.
--
Aaron Dalton       |   Super Duper Games
aaron@daltons.ca   |   http://superdupergames.org

Re: xindice tool and port number

Posted by Natalia Shilenkova <ns...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Aaron Dalton <aa...@daltons.ca> wrote:
> Georg Sauer-Limbach wrote:
>>
>> Use a xindice xmldb URL like this:
>>
>> xindice.sh add_collection -c xmldb:xindice://127.0.0.1:8080/db/whatever -n
>>
>> Otherwise it uses the default, which is localhost:8888.
>>

> I knew that was possible, but I assumed there was some way to alter the
> default or in some other way reduce all that extra typing.  If not, then I
> guess there's not.  Is there a reason there is no environment variable or
> config flag to alter the default port, given that that is likely the first
> thing to change for many people?

Only command line tool understands this way of pointing to Xindice
database, where you can omit protocol name, site and port number.
Command line tool is rather limited in its functionality, and it is
likely that API will be used for anything more or less complex, where
full URL to Xindice server is expected.

So, it isn't that changing the default port number for command line
tool would be too difficult, I guess there just were no requests for
that feature.

Regards,
Natalia

Posted by Aaron Dalton <aa...@daltons.ca>.