Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/01 17:27:17 UTC

automated dockerhub build for JSPWiki under Apache account?

Hi,

searching for some documentation about Docker (ASF Infra) support, I've
stumbled upon some interesting infra JIRAs, namely:
- https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13838
- https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-12781
- https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-14586

requesting automated builds under Apache Dockerhub account. The applying
release policy would be
https://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution.html#unreleased, but other
than that, moving the JSPWiki's Docker
support [#1] into the Apache Dockerhub account would be a nice addition for
upcoming 2.10.5. Harry, WDYT?

tx + br,
juan pablo

[#1] https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Docker

Re: automated dockerhub build for JSPWiki under Apache account?

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

IIUC, the build will be triggered every time there is a tag made. When we
start a vote for X.Y.Z, we tag
"tentatively" X.Y.Z-RC# (and later on when the vote passes we re-tag
X.Y.Z-RC# to X.Y.Z). So we'd likely
end up with failing builds more often than not, because binaries aren't
available yet at RC stage.

So I was thinking that we could request another git repo for the docker
build; that way we could
grab the binaries from either
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/jspwiki/$VERSION/etc., central or
https://repository.apache.org/service/local/artifact/maven/redirect?r=releases&g=org.apache.jspwiki&a=jspwiki-war&v=$VERSION&e=war
The downside is that it would require another vote thread to release the
docker build, which seems a little
cumbersome.

Another option could be downloading the tag and building the project as
part of the Dockerfile
(a multi-stage build). Seems to me a little too much, for just obtaining
the binaries, but OTOH it would
allow us to have all the source under one git repo.

sounds feasible?

br,
juan pablo

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
sure that sounds like a good idea.
At the moment however I am on vacation and can’t spend much time on it, but
I will take a look later.

thanks,
Harry

Op wo 1 aug. 2018 om 19:27 schreef Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <
juanpablo.santos@gmail.com>