Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by mukkamalla rama kumar <mu...@yahoo.co.in> on 2006/11/06 01:21:19 UTC

reg : document number

Hi,

     How is this document number assigned to documents. Can i give my own document number.

     I would like to get the document number for a particular file that i added to an index.

---------------------------------
 Find out what India is talking about on  - Yahoo! Answers India

Re: reg : document number

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
>From the comments in the IndexModifier.java file (didn't see this in the
"regular" javadoc...

/**
   * Deletes all documents containing <code>term</code>.
   * This is useful if one uses a document field to hold a unique ID string
for
   * the document.  Then to delete such a document, one merely constructs a
   * term with the appropriate field and the unique ID string as its text
and
   * passes it to this method.  Returns the number of documents deleted.
   * @return the number of documents deleted
   * @see IndexReader#deleteDocuments(Term)
   * @throws IllegalStateException if the index is closed
   */
  public int deleteDocuments(Term term) throws IOException {

Unless space constrains you, this seems like a natural mapping for the file
path (UN_TOKENIZED). That is, just add the full file path to your document
at index time and delete the doucment with this call. You don't have to
STORE the path though......

Otherwise, you'd have some process like
1> search on a known unique field for the doucment
2> delete that document id
3> repeat.....

Or, you could get fancy and just inspect the terms in the index and get the
corresponding doc ID (see TermEnum and TermDocs), but I suspect that's
waaaay overkill.

But this comment from IndexReader Javadoc finally makes sense to me.....

<<<

For efficiency, in this API documents are often referred to via *document
numbers*, non-negative integers which each name a unique document in the
index. These document numbers are ephemeral--they may change as documents
are added to and deleted from an index. Clients should thus not rely on a
given document having the same number between sessions.

An IndexReader can be opened on a directory for which an IndexWriter is
opened already, but it cannot be used to delete documents from the index
then.

I've wondered for a while why you delete documents through an IndexReader.
Seemed kind of funky. It finally makes sense. An IndexReader is a snapshot
of an index, so while you have that reader open, the DocIDs won't change for
that reader. Indeed, you don't get to see updates to the index until you
close/reopen your reader. But you can't delete through a reader while a
writer is open. Because the writer may change DocIDs. So you can't do both
at once..

The caution is relying on DocIDs between sessions, especially storing DocIDs
somewhere else and trying to go back and use them with a different
indexreader. While the reader is open, you can freely delete documents
without fear of doc IDs changing is how I read it.

Erick

P.S. This would be yet another fine time for folks who really know to tell
me I just don't get it <G>.

Re: reg : document number

Posted by Jin Yiqing <yi...@gmail.com>.
I used to have this question too. My solution is use "searcher" to get the
document then detele it. To do this you should know how to give a query that
could get the exact one doc you wanted.  Hope  this  could  do some help to

Re: reg : document number

Posted by mukkamalla rama kumar <mu...@yahoo.co.in>.
Thanks for your reply,

      Actually what my concern was that,
  I have a file repository, when files are added to this repository i would be updating the index by the corresponding document.

  But during deletion of the file in the file repository i have to delete the document from the index that i have built. The IndexModifer provides the option

  public void deleteDocument(int docNum)

  but this docNum will be varying for the documents, so how can i delete the document when the files they represent are deleted in my file repository

  Thanks in advance for your reply

Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
  Do NOT rely on the Lucene document number. It changes periodically. As I
understand it the general algorithm is that each doc gets an ID one greater
than the current max doc ID at INDEX time. However, when you delete
documents and optimize your index, the document IDs change. Simplistically,
say you have docs indexed with IDs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, remove 2 and reoptimize.
You then have IDs 1, 2, 3, 4 where 2, 3, 4 were 3, 4, 5 respectively.

WARNING: I have no idea whether that's exactly how it works. The point is
that the doc IDs change. I wouldn't count on trying to match any algorithm
that Lucene uses....

But you don't need to anyway. Just assign your own document ID that *you*
can guarantee doesn't change (no relation to the Lucene ID) and store that
wherever you want, then search on that. I believe you'll find that you can
search fast enough on such an ID that you won't notice the time. At any
rate, that's how I'd start out and only get fancier if performance proves
unacceptable.

Best
Erick

On 11/5/06, mukkamalla rama kumar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How is this document number assigned to documents. Can i give my own
> document number.
>
> I would like to get the document number for a particular file that i
> added to an index.

> Find out what India is talking about on - Yahoo! Answers India
> Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8. Get
> it NOW

 Find out what India is talking about on  - Yahoo! Answers India

Re: reg : document number

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.