Posted to community@apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2002/10/28 14:53:04 UTC

Jakarta++

I think a lot of us have been talking past each other on the
various lists, and so I thought I would try and summarize the
situation as I understand it.

In the beginning, the Foundation was created to sponsor one or
more open source projects. Each project was to be managed by a
Project Management Committee. Each PMC is overseen by a board
officer. The PMC is generally made up of the senior Committers
to the project. Each PMC is to have a Chair, and the Chair is
to be a Member of the Foundation. The Chair is an
administrative officer and has the authority to take decisive
action when necessary.

The Jakarta PMC was created as an umbrella for nascent Java
products. Today, we might call it an incubator. The original
idea was that the Jakarta subprojects would one day grown into
Apache Projects. But the Jakarta community grew so quickly and
so well that we have lost sight of the original objective.

As it stands, the Jakarta PMC is filling the role of a board
and each subproject's Committers are acting as a PMC. This is
probably a good idea for young groups still learning The Way.
But many of the Jakarta subprojects are all-grown-up now. Like
any good parent, the Jakarta PMC should start encouraging the
mature subprojects to leave the nest.

This will mean that the nine Board officers will be the contact
for more Projects. But each of these Projects will have its own
Chair, and that Chair will be a Member of the Foundation too.
The other members of the Committee will be the senior
Committers to the Project, and hopefully the Project's officer
and Chair will recruit more Foundation Members from each
Project. More importantly, the Project's PMC will have both the
knowledge and the authority to deal with things like IP issues.

Today, Jakarta has Committers with the knowledge of problems,
but without the authority to take decisive action. Conversely,
we have a PMC with the authority to take action, but without
the knowledge to apply that authority with good conscious.

Jakarta is no longer a place of "little things". We sponsor
several important products and continue to attract others. The
people who created these products and their communities should
be encouraged to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Apache
giants, like httpd and PHP.

The Foundation's Board may need to undergo some refactoring to
deal with handling more Projects. But, given everything else we
have accomplished, I believe this is yet-another achievable
goal.

It's been said that a PMC is not a website and mailing list.
This is true. But it is also true that a virtual community *is*
a website and mailing list. As Jakarta subprojects become
Apache Projects, it is likely that some PMCs may wish to keep
the Project hosted at Jakarta, or at least linked through its
home page. This would serve the interests of the Community
quite well, since the Jakarta products really do work well
together. For that, both the Jakarta PMC and its legion of
Committers are to be commended.

-Ted.

Re: Website questions (Was: Jakarta++)

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Henri Yandell" <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> And to the Jakarta PMC, when will Jakarta be mirrored? I can't seem to
> find a mirror for the downloads that doesn't lead back to Jakarta or have
> an empty page.

It will be mirrored once the mirrors CAN mirror it... I'm having a hard time
to pull XML and Jakarta off daedalus onto nagoya because each project uses a
different layout for their distribution binaries (see my mail to
mirrors@apache of a couple of days ago about my configuration files, it's
pretty complicated)...

I made a proposal on infrastructure to solve this (I believe it went through
yesterday), and we need to see how it goes. If someone is interested, please
let me know, or subscribe to infrastructure@apache.org.

Once a reorganization and a standardization of our "dist" directories is
achieved, it'll be easier for mirrors to download this or that part of the
ASF downloads "offering", and therefore both be more flexible on how we
distribute files, and less intrusive on daedalus' bandwidth...

    Pier

Website questions (Was: Jakarta++)

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Ted Husted wrote:

> I think a lot of us have been talking past each other on the
> various lists, and so I thought I would try and summarize the
> situation as I understand it.

Who is the web architect for the Apache site? How will its navigational
structure handle N more top level projects? It's already maxxed out the
recommended number of selections in a list. And Apache-Commons still to be
added.

As projects are promoted, how will the front site avoid turning into the
Jakarta front page? 23 projects and many of these are merely umbrellas.

And to the Jakarta PMC, when will Jakarta be mirrored? I can't seem to
find a mirror for the downloads that doesn't lead back to Jakarta or have
an empty page.

Hen

Re: Jakarta++

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
10/28/2002 9:39:47 AM, Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>
wrote:
>I would just like to add one little thing. Thinking about this
more
>"flexible" structure where the oversight chain
(committers/pmc/board) isY
>different from the "grouping chain" (jakarta or xml as focal
centers of
>communities based around projects having different oversight
chains), will
>allow also project whose scope is blurred between tow
different groups to be
>represented by both...
>
>My example being Cocoon, which could be hosted by Jakarta with
its
>"competing alikes" Turbine, Struts, ... (web application
frameworks) but at
>the same time by XML because if the core technologies used by
it...

A sensible way to go would be to look toward sites like Jakarta
and XML (and whatever for .NET) being mainly the home of
Commons projects. They could then also list and promote the
other Apache Projects in their language group (many of which
would be clients of the site's Commons).

I think in the end we will find that the Commons idea is mostly
language specific, since many of the components are filling
gaps in the host language. Before long, an Apache Commons will
tend to splinter into groups working on this language or that
language.

Any Commons component so clearly defined that it could be
implemented in multiple languages that it might really be a
small product. By implementing it multiple languages, it would
quickly become a larger product, and then be a Project
candidate.

I also think that the Commons is the best way to build
community among developers working on different projects. By
giving them a place to share their stuff, we give everyone a
chance to work together and get to know one another.

Originally, Tomcat was the "anchor" for Jakarta. But looking
forward, I could see the Commons filling that role instead.

As we attract Committers working in other languages, like C#,
they might want to establish a Commons site too, and other C#
Projects listed there, regardless of whether they are living in
the incubator or as a top level Project.

Which brings up another critical point. I think a product
hosted at a place called "incubator" might have some trouble
attracting a Community. =:0) I agree with having the Project,
and using the name to remind everyone what its about, but we
may need to list the incubator products along side more mature
products to attact a stable audience. Which brings us back to
using places like Jakarta and XML like portals, rather than as
product hosts.

-Ted.

Re: Jakarta++

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.