Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Reuven Lax <re...@google.com> on 2018/09/19 02:19:03 UTC

Re: BiqQueryIO.write and Wait.on

I've been looking at this a bit, and I think it will be tricky to figure
out how to get this working with BigQueryIO. The base problem is that Wait
tries to sequence things by window, as it's hard to come up with a
different definition of sequencing with unbounded inputs. However
BigQueryIO rewindows all input data into the GlobalWindow first thing. This
is usually the right thing for a sink to do as each element should be sent
to external sink as quickly as possible without waiting for windows to
close. However this doesn't play nice with the Wait transform, as the
original windows are lost inside BigQueryIO.

The best solution I can think of is to allow Wait on BigQueryIO _only_ if
the original window is the global window (which is common for batch jobs),
and to disallow it otherwise. This is unfortunate because it means (among
other things) that this won't work at all in streaming. If anyone has a
better idea, I'd love to hear it.

Reuven