Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Antony Bowesman <ad...@teamware.com> on 2001/10/31 09:48:29 UTC

J2EE 1.3/Tomcat/JAAS

Hi,

Is there a target for Tomcat to become a J2EE 1.3 conformant web
container?  If so, what are the plans for supporting section 6.13

J2EE.6.13 Java™ Authentication and Authorization Service (JAAS) 1.0
Requirements

"All EJB containers and all web containers must support the use of the
JAAS APIs as specified in the Connector specification."

Rgds
Antony

Re: J2EE 1.3/Tomcat/JAAS

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Antony Bowesman wrote:

> Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 08:47:07 +0200
> From: Antony Bowesman <ad...@teamware.com>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: J2EE 1.3/Tomcat/JAAS
>
> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
>
> > That being said, we have tried to conform to the J2EE 1.3 platform
> > requirements where feasible (such as with the JNDI naming context),
> > and this one (JAAS) looks like a very useful addition.  In principle,
> > it will require a Realm implementation that speaks the JAAS APIs,
> > plus some defined mechanism for role mapping.
> >
> > Any volunteers working on this already?  Anyone want to contribute
> > some code?
>
> I have a JAAS Realm that supports role mapping, however, it's using an
> extended Realm interface so that HttpRequest parameters can be passed to
> the JAAS LoginModules.
>
> It still has some open issues, such as integrating JAAS logout with the
> container, however, what state do you need code to be in to be
> contributed?

As far as I'm concerned, code for optional plug-in things like this need
only compile cleanly to avoid problems for other developers -- it need not
be functionally complete yet.  (Early check-in means you get more feedback
on features as well.)  I can take care of updating the build environment
to optionally compile this, if you want to focus on just the code.

I did some reading last night on the JAAS specs and sample programs -- I'm
interested in seeing how you approached role mapping.

> Rgds
> Antony

Craig

Re: J2EE 1.3/Tomcat/JAAS

Posted by Antony Bowesman <ad...@teamware.com>.

Re: J2EE 1.3/Tomcat/JAAS

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Antony Bowesman wrote:

> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:48:29 +0200
> From: Antony Bowesman <ad...@teamware.com>
> To: TomcatDev <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: J2EE 1.3/Tomcat/JAAS
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there a target for Tomcat to become a J2EE 1.3 conformant web
> container?  If so, what are the plans for supporting section 6.13
>
> J2EE.6.13 Java™ Authentication and Authorization Service (JAAS) 1.0
> Requirements
>
> "All EJB containers and all web containers must support the use of the
> JAAS APIs as specified in the Connector specification."

Tomcat by itself is not a J2EE server, because it doesn't have an EJB
container.  However, it's used inside the J2EE 1.3 RI (for example) which
does support JAAS authentication.

That being said, we have tried to conform to the J2EE 1.3 platform
requirements where feasible (such as with the JNDI naming context), and
this one (JAAS) looks like a very useful addition.  In principle, it will
require a Realm implementation that speaks the JAAS APIs, plus some
defined mechanism for role mapping.

Any volunteers working on this already?  Anyone want to contribute some
code?

> Rgds
> Antony

Craig