Posted to dev@click.apache.org by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/17 18:25:24 UTC

[VOTE] Release Click 2.1.0-RC1

Hi all,

I'd like to start a formal vote on releasing Click 2.1.0-RC1.

SVN Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/click/tags/click-2.1.0-RC1-take1/
M2: http://people.apache.org/~sabob/click/click/2.1.0-RC1/maven2/
Dist: http://people.apache.org/~sabob/click/click/2.1.0-RC1/dist/

The vote lasts 72 hours.

Here is my +1.

kind regards

bob

Re: [VOTE] Release Click 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Users can vote however their votes are non-binding.  For example under
the Apache rules if any committer casts a -1 vote then the motion is
not passed.  If non-committers vote they do have influence on the vote
in terms of the discussion and community support.

regards Malcolm Edgar

2.1.0 final oustanding issues

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.
Malcolm Edgar wrote:

> #2 - http://localhost:8080/click-examples/form/extra-controls-form.htm
> the DateField calendar does not display in the page

OK figured out how to produce the error. The problem only occurs in
production modes. Under certain conditions duplicate resources can be
imported in production mode when some components uses getHtmlImports
and others uses getHeadElements. The problem comes in when PageImports
tries to detect if an import is already imported, it checks against an
Element's "src" or "href" attribute. Since getHeadElements returns an
Element with the Click version already part of the "src" or "href"
attribute and Elements only apply their version indicator at rendering
time PageImports compared a non-versioned attribute to a versioned
attribute and included the duplicate.

I've checked in a fix however for 2.1.0 final I'd like to convert
Click control htmlImports to the new headElements approach.

I'd also like to move the examples to use standards mode (DOCTYPE)
instead of quirks mode and move from a Table layout to using Divs.

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.
Malcolm Edgar wrote:
> #1 - http://localhost:8080/click-examples/general/control-head-demo.htm
> this only renders one star.

Thanks, the rating control element didn't close properly, fixed in trunk.

> #2 - http://localhost:8080/click-examples/form/extra-controls-form.htm
> the DateField calendar does not display in the page

Just checked in IE8+IE6 (running in VirtualBox) and the popup worked
properly.
I can setup another Virtual machine running IE7 but its a bit of schlep,
so before doing that can you double check that calendar doesn't work in IE7?
Are there any JS errors? Perhaps do a hard refresh of the browser to reload
resources: Ctrl-F5.

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Note there are some issues with the examples with IE7. I think they
should be resolved in the final release.

#1 - http://localhost:8080/click-examples/general/control-head-demo.htm
this only renders one star.

#2 - http://localhost:8080/click-examples/form/extra-controls-form.htm

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "florin.g" <fl...@bytenotes.com>.

Posted by "Adrian A." <a....@gmail.com>.
> I'd like to start a formal vote on releasing Click 2.1.0-RC1.
>
> SVN Tag:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/click/tags/click-2.1.0-RC1-take1/
> M2: http://people.apache.org/~sabob/click/click/2.1.0-RC1/maven2/
> Dist: http://people.apache.org/~sabob/click/click/2.1.0-RC1/dist/
>
> The vote lasts 72 hours.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Release Click 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Naoki Takezoe <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bob,

2009/6/19 Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>:
> Thanks Naoki, I've just updated the roadmap about the new HiddenList.
>
> There won't be a 2.0.2 release so HiddenList will be part of 2.1.0-RC1.

Thanks.
Fixed version selected by me was wrong.
This was my problem.

> Let us know what your vote is for regarding 2.1.0-RC1 release.

Oh sorry! +1

Naoki Takezoe

Re: [VOTE] Release Click 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Naoki Takezoe <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bob,

--
Naoki Takezoe

Re: [VOTE] Release Click 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@husted.com>.
> My understanding is that GAE only supports JPA and JDO (no jdbc) so we'll
> have to port Cayenne to JPA to host the examples there.

(Just thinking out load ...)

Cayenne had made a push to support a JPA provider in Cayenne 3.0, but
that work was abandoned.

* http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/guide-to-30-features.html

Would the notion of a GAE adapter for Cayenne make any sense. Instead
of talking to Derby or HSQLDB, it would talk to JPA or JDO.

Of course, the big fix, would be to abstract Cayenne so that Click
could talk to Cayenne or a JPA provider (espeically since there won't
be JPA in C3). But, I expect that would be a lot of work.

> If Cayenne is using an in memory database, does GAE care?

Using HSQLDB in memory is an interesting idea, so long as there isn't
a GAE/J ceiling on RAM. (It's also something we can test in
isolation.)

RAM is not listed specifically as a resource

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dLfQMJsmsaI/SUg3NOeljVI/AAAAAAAAACA/Yh0ug378x6g/s1600-h/billing-blog-post-100percent.png

and of course, the notion has been around for a long time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-memory_database

(Though, I'd feel better if HSQLDB was backed up as a blob of
something in the real datastorage area.)

-Ted.

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.
There is bug in Google App Engine[1] which prevents Serialization of
certain Collection classes. In particular HashMap. This has the effect
that stateful Pages doesn't work in GAE because Page contains a Map
model object. Stateless Pages work fine though.

Hope they get this resolved quickly.

[1]: http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1290

bob

Posted by "Adrian A." <a....@gmail.com>.
> I've been doing some prototype work with Click, Ajax and JQuery which is
> hosted here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/clickclick/
>
> Currently its a bit of a pain to setup because the project depends on
> Click 2.1.0 which haven't been released yet.
IMHO it's not a pain at all if the developer is using always the latest
from the Click trunk:
- the user just needs to build the latest Click trunk
  and copy the /click/dist/*.jar to /clickclick/lib/
- than build clickclick

This works very well, and it could be even automated to have no manual
work at all (e.g. with SVNAnt and some small updates to the clickclick
build.xml to call the Click build.xml first)

> The live demo running on GAE can be seen here:
> http://clickclick-jquery.appspot.com
IMHO this could be mentioned here too:
http://incubator.apache.org/click/docs/examples.html

Adrian.

Re: [VOTE] Release Click 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted,

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@husted.com>.
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Bob Schellink<sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure actually, will have to test.

Bob,

Do you have this checked-in anyplace? I'd love to take a look a the WIP.

Strategically, for me, GAE/J is the only way I'll be able to stay
involved in Java over the long term.

If some of the work ends up out of the scope of the ASF project, we
can always look at an Extension Project.

-Ted.

Re: [VOTE] Release Click 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Adrian A." <a....@gmail.com>.
> We could probably host Click examples on GAE with this and the GAE work
-1 for moving click-examples to GAE/J.
Click-examples are the "maximum" of Click coverage in a web application,
and since GAE/J is restrictive, there will be always parts(components)
of click that won't work.
Since click-examples are so important for new users(and not just them -
since it's a sort of code snippet repo), IMHO they should remain on
Avoka (if hosting is a problem, Stax.net could host them, and it's not
restrictive like GAE/J).

I think ClickClick has many good examples that could be hosted on GAE/J
instead of click-examples. They also don't depend all on Cayenne, so the
effort would much smaller than to rewrite click-examples to JPA (or to
make Cayenne work on GAE/J).

Adrian.

Re: [VOTE] Release Click 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@husted.com>.
Just to call this out, it's a common practice among several ASF
projects to roll a release and then decide the quality. The notion is
rather than roll 2.1.0-RC1, we roll 2.1.1 and then vote on whether the
quality is alpha, beta, or GA. Sometimes a release will start off as a
beta, and then graduate to GA. A huge benefit is that work can
continue on 2.1.2, regardless of what happens to 2.1.1. Apache HTTPD
uses this approach, as does Tomcat, Struts, and many others.

Of course, the foundation doesn't dictate a release scheme (only that
the package meets legal standards), and Click is free to use whatever
scheme works best for the PMC.

-Ted.

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Click 2.1.0-RC1

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

The vote for Click 2.1.0-RC1 has passed. Next up I'll put the vote to
the IPMC.

Vote result
Bob Schellink   +1 (Binding)
Naoki Takezoe   +1 (Binding)