Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Julien Martin <ba...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/25 10:35:26 UTC

PermGen Space problem???

Hello,
I get a permgen error. Can anyone tell me how to avoid this PermGen
space error??

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: PermGen space
	javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:121)
	org.apache.myfaces.component.html.util.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:122)

root cause

javax.faces.FacesException: PermGen space
	org.apache.myfaces.context.servlet.ServletExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ServletExternalContextImpl.java:421)
	org.apache.myfaces.application.jsp.JspViewHandlerImpl.renderView(JspViewHandlerImpl.java:234)
	org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:352)
	javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:107)
	org.apache.myfaces.component.html.util.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:122)

Re: PermGen Space problem???

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Julien Martin wrote:
> Hello,
> I get a permgen error. Can anyone tell me how to avoid this PermGen
> space error??
>

> ****************************************************************************************
> exception
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: PermGen space
> 	javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:121)
> 	org.apache.myfaces.component.html.util.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:122)
>
> root cause
>
> javax.faces.FacesException: PermGen space
> 	org.apache.myfaces.context.servlet.ServletExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ServletExternalContextImpl.java:421)
> 	org.apache.myfaces.application.jsp.JspViewHandlerImpl.renderView(JspViewHandlerImpl.java:234)
> 	org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:352)
> 	javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:107)
> 	org.apache.myfaces.component.html.util.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:122)
> ****************************************************************************************

This PermGen space is used whenever new classes and JSPs are loaded
(e.g. for each deploy) and cannot be recovered when the classes are
unloaded.  Thus during development you can often reach this without
memory leaks or bugs.  You can increase this by setting
-XX:MaxPermSize=128m on the Java VM.

--
Dave Brondsema
Software Developer

Re: PermGen Space problem???

Posted by Emmanuel Jay <em...@gmail.com>.
We are using JBoss on windows, and we have been getting this for a long
time. As far as we have seen it is due to multiple hotdeploy, and has not
happened during our testing phase where the app is only deployed once...

Emmanuel

RE: PermGen Space problem???

Posted by Frank Felix Debatin <ff...@gmx.net>.

Re: PermGen Space problem???

Posted by Thomas Gaudin <th...@wanadoo.fr>.

Re: PermGen Space problem???

RE: PermGen Space problem???

Posted by Frank Felix Debatin <ff...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

This was fixed in the latest version of Jboss. Static references to a class
loaders prohibited garbage collection.

Frank Felix

Are You running JBOSS on a windows platform?

In that case you may get this exception when you have hotdeployed enough
times.

Taking the server down is the only thing that helps.

Hope that helps
Mads

Re: PermGen Space problem???

Posted by Mads Henderson <ma...@gmail.com>.