Posted to dev@streams.apache.org by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org> on 2017/07/05 17:22:05 UTC

{VOTE} move to gitbox

This is a vote to move all streams repos to Gitbox, some of the other
projects have started to move their repos to gitbox.

Here's my +1 binding.

This vote will close in 72 hrs.

Follow up: {VOTE} move to gitbox

Posted by Steve Blackmon <sb...@apache.org>.
Last night we got github.com/apache/streams pointed at
git.apache.org/streams.

I have opened the request for gitbox to be enabled.

If you have not yet, please make sure you are setup on the github apache
org and have MFA enabled.
https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/

Re: {VOTE} move to gitbox

Posted by Joey Frazee <jo...@icloud.com>.
+1

We already do the code reviews and PRs almost entirely on Github and probably some of us use the sync'd Github repo for our upstream remote and not Apache so this will cut out some fat.

Re: {VOTE} move to gitbox

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
We seem to have consensus to move to gitbox - this vote is now closed and
we have 4 +1s, will work with Infra to move to gitbox.

Re: {VOTE} move to gitbox

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 12:55 PM Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

> thread

> about

> > > With the present setup (without gitbox): this is how u have to merge
> the
> > > PRs (the cumbersome, manual way) -
> > > http://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html
> > >
> > > With gitbox setup, this is how u do it (the way its supposed to be, see
> > the
> > > section merging a Pull Request) -
> > http://opennlp.apache.org/using-git.html
> > >

> > Thanks, that is helpful, even if IMO still very thin, too thin,
> > documentation.
> >
> > So I understand that with gitbox the (primary?) upstream repository to
> > push to
> > now is @github, no longer @apache. Or might this be both?
> >
> > However https://github.com/apache/opennlp still indicates it is mirrored
> > from
> > git://git.apache.org/opennlp.git.
> > Then are these now bidirectionally synchronized? If so, then how are
> > conflicts
> > resolved/prevented, shouldn't there some guidelines/rules for that?
> > Is it still allowed or even possible to push to the repository @apache?
> >
> > The OpenNLP website doesn't provide any help or explanation either,
> while I
> > think important usage rules like these need to be spelled out and
> > documented by
> > the project.
> >
> > Another question: will we (have to) stick to using JIRA for issue
> > tracking, or
> > with gitbox might github issue tracking be used as well?
> > Note: I think the latter to be not such a great idea.
> > Also: is it possible to add JIRA integration with the Github repository?
> >

> Great question.  IIRC, there is no real requirement to use JIRA for a
> project's defect tracking, it is just common to do so.  Any particular
> reason you dislike GitHub issues?  It might further simplify the workflow.

There is gitbox - jira integration in place and its (finally!) functional,
so nothing changes on that front.

> > OpenNLP JIRA issues don't show or link to/index related git commits while
> > IMO
> > *that* would be very useful to have.
> >
> > Anyhow, I understand the benefit of directly using and pushing to github
> > so I'm OK and +1 on moving to gitbox if this now is an 'endorsed'
> solution
> > at
> > Apache.
> >
> > But I also strongly dislike the fact there is zero documentation and also
> > no
> > Apache guidelines how gitbox can and may, and may not, be used.
> >

> Agree on the lack of documentation.  Since @smarthi is a big proponent,
> maybe he will improve the documentation ;)
>
> I am a big proponent of all things verbal, and completely
anti-documentation.
Sorry i will not be able to help with improving the documentation. :)

Re: {VOTE} move to gitbox

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.

Re: {VOTE} move to gitbox

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.