Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Deepti Dohare <de...@citrix.com> on 2012/12/20 07:19:35 UTC

[DISCUSS] Dedicated Resources: Dedicate Pods, Clusters, Hosts to a domain

Hi,

Currently in CloudStack architecture, domains can have dedicated zones but not pods, clusters or hosts.

We are proposing this functionality in "Dedicated Resources" where a domain or a sub-domain can have dedicated pods,  clusters or hosts.

Why we need this feature:
Dedicating a zone might be very expensive offering for an end users, whereas dedicating a pod, cluster or a host
may be more economical. This feature will allow Root-Admin to dedicate resources to a specific domain that needs
private infrastructure for additional security or performance guarantees.

In this feature
- Root Admin should be able to dedicate a pod/cluster/host to a particular domain or sub-domain.
- Any users in that domain can access pod/cluster/host dedicated to their domain.
- No users outside that domain, can access the dedicated pod, cluster or hosts (eg. deploy instance on that pod/cluster/host).
- If there is no available resources in the dedicated pod/cluster/host, then CloudStack should fail the operation
  for a user in that domain.

I have filed a jira request: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-681, to track this feature. Please let me know any comments and suggestions.

Thanks
Deepti

RE: [DISCUSS] Dedicated Resources: Dedicate Pods, Clusters, Hosts to a domain

Posted by Ram Ganesh <Ra...@citrix.com>.

	We do have users using host tags to dedicate a host though I am not sure about the use case. But assume if I have 2 high end hosts then a department can dedicate one host say to QA team and another one to development team thereby achieving isolation at the physical level.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Anthony Xu <Xu...@citrix.com>.
> My thinking is that, when dedicating a cluster to a domain, dedication
> of primary storage will be taken care of.

how do you handle PS if dedicating a host to domain?
If CS supports some kinds of EBS later, EBS can be a PS and shared by multiple cluster, how do you handle EBS PS ?

Can admin dedicate multiple resources( for example, cluster) to a domain?

If a pod is dedicated to a domain, can another pod be dedicated to a sub-domain of this domain?
If yes, does that mean this sub-domain own two pods?

Anthony

Posted by Anthony Xu <Xu...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Saurav Lahiri <sa...@sungard.com>.
Would dedicating a pod/cluster to a domain also not require dedicating the
primary storage. This is because it would appear that if
performance/security is the primary reason for dedicating resources, then
that would also be true for primary storage. Also Would it be not be better
to specify cluster as the last level of granularity for resource that can
be dedicated to a domain rather than a host? So cases where a single host
needs to be dedicated to a domain, it would equate to a cluster with a
single host.

Thanks
Saurav

Posted by Saurav Lahiri <sa...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
Given the move away from defining these access rights in code (see [1]), I
hope that these checks are going to be defined in the new ACL check layer.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+API+refac
toring

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.