Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/13 08:47:30 UTC

Initial prototype of Sling Feature model API Region support

Hi all,

I started working on a prototype for the API Region support for the Sling
Feature model as outlined in [1]. The prototype includes runtime support
for enforcing the API Regions as declared in the feature model files. This
mail is to share my current approach, which is partly implemented on my
branch (features-service) and in the sling-whiteboard.

An API region is specified in a feature file using an extension. For
example:
"api-regions:JSON|false" : [
    {
        "name": "platform",
        "exports": [
            "org.apache.sling.commons.scheduler"
        ]
    }
]

This means that the org.apache.sling.commons.scheduler package from a
bundle in this feature is exposed outside of the feature in the 'platform'
region. It means that other features also in the 'platform' region have
access to it, but features not in the 'platform' region don't. Within a
single feature all bundles have access to all exported package from other
bundles in the same region.

To realise this at runtime, I created a WhitelistEnforcer component which
knows of the whitelist configuration at runtime. The Feature launcher will
initialize this component with the api region information. The
WhitelistEnforcer registers a framework resolver hook which can prevent
bundles from resolving to API from other bundles if this API should not be
exposed to the requesting bundle.
Additionally, I created a Features service, which can at runtime tell the
caller what feature a given bundle belongs to. The OSGi resolver hook only
tells you whether a given bundle needs something, so in order to map that
to the api-regions configuration which is defined on the feature level, we
need to know what feature this bundle belongs to.
Both the WhitelistEnforcer as well as the Features service are defined by
framework extension fragment bundles so that they are present early in the
system.

There is also an associated JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-7779
I'm hoping to merge this soon to the Sling codebase, any thoughts would be
appreciated :)

Best regards,

David

[1]
https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-feature/blob/master/apicontroller.md

Re: Initial prototype of Sling Feature model API Region support

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dominik.

It's an interesting point. I guess when features are more widely adopted
and you're building a system from features provided by multiple
organisations you can also run into the problem that multiple people define
the same API regions 'foo'. It might make sense to adopt a convention to
use reverse dns naming for regions, like in Java package names... Then we
can reserve region names without scoping (read: dots) for internal 'system'
features like the 'global' one.

Best regards,

David

Posted by Dominik Süß <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bertrand,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bertrand,

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 at 11:00, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:47 AM David Bosschaert
> <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...I started working on a prototype for the API Region support for the
> Sling
> > Feature model as outlined in [1]....
>
> Interesting stuff!
>
> Is "global" a magic name for the region that everybody can see? IOW,
> does exporting packages to the "global" region have the same effect
> than omitting region information?

Yes, 'global' is the magic name for the region available to everyone. This
includes bundles that are in different regions or bundles that are in no
region at all.

The requirements at [1] state: Without any further information, API is
globally visible by default.
So omitting the region information has the same effect as exporting all the
exported packages from all the bundles in that feature to everyone. If you
only want to export a portion of your packages to everyone you can achieve
this by putting just those packages in the 'global' region.

Best regards,

David

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Note that there is also a new OSGi RFP where this lightweight approach is
proposed for a new OSGi specification:
https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfps/rfp-0188-Features.pdf

Best regards,

David

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
it misses the lightweight ...

Posted by Roy Teeuwen <ro...@teeuwen.be>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Initial prototype of Sling Feature model API Region support

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Here comes the beauty of the feature model: it does not prescribe any
runtime technology to be used. It could be what we're currently building
here in Sling, it could be Karaf, it could subsystems. A feature model
can easily be used to create a packaging for any of those solutions.

As some might know we started to try to use subsystems some years ago
and apart from not being lightweight we ran into some other issues
(which might be fixed today). For the use cases at hand, it's rather
clumsy to use. But still, with the feature model and the region model in
there, you can write a simple tool that creates a subsystem out of the
feature. However, the sharing model is different: while the sharing
model of subsystems is more hierarchical like a tree, the model defined
here allows to have any intersections, therefore it is more flexible.

But the key idea is still that you can describe features (what do they
contain, what do they provide, what do they need) and then various
tooling can be used to actually run those features. It's one description
to rule the world :)

Regards

Carsten

Roy Teeuwen wrote

Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Initial prototype of Sling Feature model API Region support

Posted by Roy Teeuwen <ro...@teeuwen.be>.
Hey David,