Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Ryan, Benjamin" <81...@trinitylismore.nsw.edu.au> on 2013/01/31 23:15:55 UTC

Case Study on Open Office

Hello Open Office Developers sorry to bother you but I am in need of some help

I am doing a school Assignment (Case Study) on a particular Software Solution and I chose to do "Open Office" but i need to find some answer to these questions.

1. Identify the software development approaches used in the development of the Software? e.g Open office

2. Discuss the appropriateness of the approaches used.Why was this approach chosen?

3. Describe how the various personal involved in the process, contribute to the overall development?

4. Evaluate how social and ethical issues were addressed?

6. Evaluate how effectively the new system met the needs of the user or the target market?

If you could help me in any way to answer a few questions or all of the questions I would be very grateful and thank you for your time in advance.

TRINITY CATHOLIC COLLEGE LISMORE CONFIDENTIALITY & PRIVACY NOTICE:
This email is confidential.If you are not the intended recipient,please notify the sender immediately.
You should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.

Re: Case Study on Open Office

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 31/01/2013 23:15, Ryan, Benjamin a écrit :

> 3. Describe how the various personal involved in the process, contribute to the overall development?

For the record, the Forum team (the Volunteers at http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/ ) have been interviewed last year for the master thesis of 2 students of the Lund University (Sweden).
The thesis can be downloaded (free) here: http://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/o.o.i.s?id=24923&postid=2827648
It explains some of the motivations of the people who help the users.

Note that the ASF was not used to integrate forums (they are used to mailing lists) in their projects. But since OpenOffice is very much end-user oriented, they agreed to host the forums (that were hosted by former OOo "owner" Sun then Oracle). The interest from users in the forum has never decreased and after more than a year, the forum is showing the same popularity as before Oracle gave the code to ASF.

For an end-user oriented application like AOO, there are important areas of the project that need more work because the audience is made of end-users with low level of computer knowledge (not all of them of course). I'm thinking of forums of course but also wiki and documentation. Access to information on how to use the application must be made as much easy as possible. It's not part of the development itself (as for the code) but it's part of the success of such a large project.

Hagar

RE: Case Study on Open Office

Posted by "Ryan, Benjamin" <81...@trinitylismore.nsw.edu.au>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 02/02/2013 17:39, Rob Weir a écrit :
> Since the work is done by volunteers, a top-down hierarchical approach
> cannot work.  No one can order a volunteer to do something.  It must
> be something they want to do, something that they are interested it
> and enjoy doing.

Well, this is not always the case. Some don't really follow this guideline.
Hopefully, they are not that many. But this is a reality of the community.
See: http://markmail.org/message/uzs5bu3r5oby2fza and the whole thread.

Hagar

Re: Case Study on Open Office

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 03/02/2013 Ryan, Benjamin wrote:
> 1. Identify the software development approaches used in the development of the Software? e.g Open office
> What software development approaches were used eg Structured(top-down) prototyping,RAD or Agile

I have little to add to what Rob already answered. OpenOffice is a
community effort, so we don't enforce any particular methodologies. The
project has coding standards, see for example
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Cpp_Coding_Standards and
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/Code_Conventions ; and it has a
number of development branches where new features are developed before
being merged to the main trunk. So nothing unusual in this respect.

We may use a "review then commit" or "commit then review" approach
depending on the impact of a change, but we ensure that all new code is
reviewed by peer developers.

> 6. Evaluate how effectively the new system met the needs of the user or the target market?
> How the software has met the needs of the user and target audience
> At the current statistics Open office has taken 14% of Microsoft offices sale which is quiet significant
> Market-Share etc

We invite feedback from the users and ask them how OpenOffice can better
meet their needs. For example, months ago we ran a Google Moderator
initiative https://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2011d5 asking users
for their priorities in the OpenOffice development, and getting about
1000 new ideas from them.

Regards,
   Andrea.

RE: Case Study on Open Office

Posted by "Ryan, Benjamin" <81...@trinitylismore.nsw.edu.au>.
1. Identify the software development approaches used in the development of the Software? e.g Open office
What software development approaches were used eg Structured(top-down) prototyping,RAD or Agile

6. Evaluate how effectively the new system met the needs of the user or the target market?
How the software has met the needs of the user and target audience
At the current statistics Open office has taken 14% of Microsoft offices sale which is quiet significant
Market-Share etc

If anyone else could add or extend on any of the questions i would be very grateful

Re: Case Study on Open Office

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.