Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Matt Raible <li...@raibledesigns.com> on 2004/03/24 00:02:28 UTC

Separate Tiles From Struts?

Anyone care to educate me on why Tiles is part of Struts (and not
commons-tiles?).  I'd like to respond to the following post (contents
pasted below) with an educated reply.

https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=2488961

<snip>
On the occasion: Do you happen to know why Tiles was integrated into
the Struts codebase as of Struts 1.1, rather than kept as separate
component with Struts integration? I've been wondering about this for
quite a while...

Tiles isn't really tied to Struts in a technical manner, as we see in
our usage with Spring. So why is every other piece of reusable logic a
Commons component but not Tiles? I'd really like to see Tiles being
factored out of the Struts codebase again, possibly before the Struts
2.0 timeframe.
</snip>

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Separate Tiles From Struts?

Posted by David Geary <sa...@earthlink.net>.
On 04-03-23, at 17:40, Matt Raible wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2004, at 5:23 PM, Ted Husted wrote:
>
>> At first, there was talk of bringing it to Taglibs. Cedric and David
>> Geary chatted about that for a bit, but the conversation trailed off,
>> and we just plunged ahead with 1.1.

IMHO, Tiles should definitely be separate from Struts. I'd really like
to see it become a Commons project. And now that I'm done with Core
JSF, I'd certainly be willing to pitch in.

>> It could certainly be abstracted and brought to the Commons, like the
>> Validator, if someone had the itch. :)
>>
>> Are you volunteering?
>
> Any idea on what kind of effort this would involve?  It seems like it
> would be simple enough, but you never know... ;-)

Well, it certainly won't be simple. Nothing ever is. 8-)

Also, Tiles is probably due for a facelift. It's been around for
awhile, and I'm sure it could use some updating.

david

Posted by Matt Raible <li...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
When I first started poking around Jakarta, Struts and Tiles were separate
projects and were in the process of being merged.  I'm not sure why they
were joined but Tiles wasn't a commons component, it was another Jakarta
project.

David