Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "Buckley,Ron" <bu...@oclc.org> on 2014/05/30 17:24:46 UTC

Region Server hung during shutdown after StackOverflow error

Interesting case happened out dev HBase cluster overnight.  (We're running HBase 0.94.15 from CDH 4.6.0)

A region server took a StackOverflow error, it looks like during during a minor compaction.

The region server is trying to shut down with a Fatal, but is now hung during shutdown.

The particularly troublesome thing is that the RS is alive enough to keep zookeeper happy.

So, the regions arent moving off, but our apps cant get to them because the RS is mostly dead.

I put some of the details on pastebin.

JStack -> http://pastebin.com/hnLtaG54
Outfile -> http://pastebin.com/5F1UcGjg
Logfile -> http://pastebin.com/TBL1YSZM

Re: Region Server hung during shutdown after StackOverflow error

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
There was 47 second gap in region server log (where the calls to subList()
might have happened):

   1. 2014-05-29 19:09:02,257 INFO
   org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.compactions.CompactSelection: Deleting
   the expired store file by compaction:
   hdfs://cluster/hbase/IngestProcessing/bf754ed8764ca705a2acc0058e13b69c/data/22b41ad9388f488cb672cca3de0614e9
   whose maxTimeStamp is -1 while the max expired timestamp is 1401318542257
   2. 2014-05-29 19:09:49,324 INFO
   org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer: Scanner
   -6708632874853984071 lease expired on region
   WorldcatCrossref,4333961705,1334582131683.90c82e6c71dd99f21a18df41df28e5b0.

Good practice would be, instead of assigning subList() to the same member
variable, to clear the sublist which is not needed.

Cheers

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Buckley,Ron" <bu...@oclc.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.