Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Projeto Manager <pr...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/20 16:55:45 UTC

Tomcat 7 eating too much memory on Ubuntu

Hello,

I have the following config:
Tomcat 7
Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
jdk-7u51-linux-i586.tar.gz

My web app does not have any users. It's just me. After about a week of
running, the java process is eating a lot of memory, and then the swap
demon eats all my processor time. Then I have to restart tomcat.

This is my memory status when things are still ok:
Mem:    509216k total,   416808k used,    92408k free,    20816k buffers
Swap:   262140k total,    20688k used,   241452k free,   201384k cached

How can investigate this problem further? Should I use Tomcat 6 instead? I
am a java beginner.

Re: Tomcat 7 eating too much memory on Ubuntu

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 20/05/2014 15:55, Projeto Manager wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the following config:
> Tomcat 7
> Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
> jdk-7u51-linux-i586.tar.gz
>
> My web app does not have any users. It's just me. After about a week of
> running, the java process is eating a lot of memory, and then the swap
> demon eats all my processor time. Then I have to restart tomcat.
>
> This is my memory status when things are still ok:
> Mem:    509216k total,   416808k used,    92408k free,    20816k buffers
> Swap:   262140k total,    20688k used,   241452k free,   201384k cached
>
> How can investigate this problem further?

Use a profiler to find the memory leak(s) in your application.

> Should I use Tomcat 6 instead?

No. Why would you think that was a good idea?

> I am a java beginner.

Then you might want to read this:
http://people.apache.org/~markt/presentations/2010-11-04-Memory-Leaks-60mins.pdf

Mark