Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Lawrence You <yo...@pixo.com> on 2002/04/25 23:56:03 UTC

JSTL/Standard not really JSP 1.1?

I think this is more of a labeling issue on the taglibs page than
anything else but I'm wondering if there's a way I can get the
Standard Taglib to work with JSP 1.1.

I started to go down the path of using the "Standard" tag library
from the daily builds but I'm not so sure I can use it now with what
I know. I thought it would be compatible with JSP 1.1 simply because
"Standard" is listed on
<http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/index.html> as being a JSP 1.1 Tag
Library (on the left side of the page). That was an easy enough
assumption, but when I got the nightly build last week
(jakarta-taglibs-20020415.zip), I couldn't get it to work with my app
server and realized by looking at the TLDs that the library was going
to require JSP 1.2.

With some more careful reading on
<http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/standard-doc/standard-beta2/GettingStarted.html>,
it says "JSTL 1.0 Beta 2 uses features provided only by the JSP 1.2
standard draft, so it requires a JSP 1.2 container. We recommend you
test JSTL with Tomcat 4.0." OK, fair enough.

So checking with versions of the commercial app servers we're using,
it seems like JSP 1.1 is the current version supported by most
servers: <http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/industry.html> and double
checking with the versions we're using for deployment, looks like
that is reality. Even Sun's recent (3/2002) release of iPlanet 6.5
only supports JSP 1.1.

So my choices today seem to be to not use JSTL or to try to see if I
can get it to work on JSP 1.1. I think I know what the answer is but
is it really possible to use the Standard taglib on JSP 1.1? Perhaps
rewrite the JSP 1.2 TLDs into JSP 1.1-compatible TLDs?

-Lawrence

Re: JSTL/Standard not really JSP 1.1?

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
Lawrence You wrote:

> I think this is more of a labeling issue on the taglibs page than
> anything else but I'm wondering if there's a way I can get the
> Standard Taglib to work with JSP 1.1.

FYI,

http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/

lists the taglibs as JSP 1.2 or JSP 1.1 taglibs in both the left menu
and in the body of the page.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: JSTL/Standard not really JSP 1.1?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
I'm sure Shawn will answer this in full, but as a side-topic, is it worth
Jakarta hosting a JSTL-cut-down for JSP 1.1?

Making a JSTL for 1.1 that is as close to the JSTL spec as possible?

Posted by ma...@tumbleweed.com.
At 02:56 PM 4/25/2002, Lawrence You wrote:
>I think this is more of a labeling issue on the taglibs page than anything
>else but I'm wondering if there's a way I can get the Standard Taglib to
>work with JSP 1.1.

I believe at least some of the JSTL tags require features only available in
JSP 1.2, but I don't know the specifics.

[...snip...]

>So checking with versions of the commercial app servers we're using, it
>seems like JSP 1.1 is the current version supported by most servers:
><http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/industry.html> and double checking with
>the versions we're using for deployment, looks like that is reality. Even
>Sun's recent (3/2002) release of iPlanet 6.5 only supports JSP 1.1.

Note that this list is quite out of date. There are at least two containers
which are listed here as JSP 1.1 but which now support JSP 1.2 (Resin and
WebLogic). Most likely some others have been upgraded as well.

--
Martin Cooper