Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2004/06/17 14:55:34 UTC

Code Freeze (was: VOTE [CVS->SVN] Cocoon Roadmap)

Andreas Hartmann wrote:

[...]

 > BTW, it seems like the switch should be deferred:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org&msgNo=34356

I see the following options:

1) wait until we can switch to SVN

   -1 (unacceptable)

2) branch in CVS

   -1

3) allow only check-ins for 1.2.1 with prior discussion
    on lenya-dev

   +1

WDYT?

-- Andreas

Re: Code Freeze (was: VOTE [CVS->SVN] Cocoon Roadmap)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

[...]

> 3) allow only check-ins for 1.2.1 with prior discussion
>    on lenya-dev

Maybe we shouldn't require to discuss the check-ins.
This would slow down the development, and the release
1.2.1 has to be tested anyway.

I think that no new features should be committed, but
I'd see this as a recommendation, not as a rule.

Anything that breaks backwards compatibility to 1.2
should be considered as a bug.

-- Andreas

Re: Code Freeze

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

>Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>>not business as usual. checkins need to be discussed first.
>>>

>>well, I think bug fixes and light enhancements of existing features
>>don't need to be discussed.
>>

>Even a simple bugfix can have a more serious bug as a side effect. That is a
>good reason to have more than two eyes looking at the code.

so why am I a committer? We are talking here about 1.2.1, right?

Michi

>Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Code Freeze

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Also, please note that some people on the incubator PMC think that
> Lenya is
> ready to be released and some don't, but the discussion is over there yet.

I meant NOT over ;-)

also the discussion getting out of incubator is not over yet, or at least
I hope so ...

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Code Freeze

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Scherler, Thorsten wrote:

> In the meantime we could focus our energies to get out of the
> incubator and maybe release as an official apache project!

the way we get out of the incubator is by creating a more diverse community.
So, what kind of energy are we talking about?
If we continuously improve the project then more people will be
attracted, more
people will contribute, more people are likely to become committer.
A release would help in this process.

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Code Freeze

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>>not business as usual. checkins need to be discussed first.
>>
>>well, I think bug fixes and light enhancements of existing features
>>don't need to be discussed.
>

> Even a simple bugfix can have a more serious bug as a side effect. That is a
> good reason to have more than two eyes looking at the code.
>
> Andreas

I guess that would cost to much work to discuss all bugfixes and
enhancements in the ml! If we end in discussing every small change on
the code base then -1 for releasing the freeze because it is not an end
of the code freeze after all. It is like now with the freeze!

Anyway, we had not an official release jet and want to change to SVN. So
IMO we should *maybe* wait with the release to after the change to SVN.
IMO that would make more sense.

In the meantime we could focus our energies to get out of the incubator
and maybe release as an official apache project!

WDYT?

thorsten

--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>
  <country>Spain</country>
  <@m...@mail>

<@c...@cocoon-WIKI>
  <http>http://www.target-x.de</http>
  <motto>
	"My task which I am trying to achieve is,
	by the power of the written word,
	[...] to make you see."
	*Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>
</thorsten>

Re: Code Freeze

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Re: Code Freeze

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

>>> not business as usual. checkins need to be discussed first.
>>

>> well, I think bug fixes and light enhancements of existing features
>> don't need to be discussed.
>

> +1 (see my other mail)
>
> -- Andreas

+1

thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la InformaciĆ³n S.A.U.

Re: Code Freeze

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> Michael Wechner wrote:
>>
>>> I guess you mean 1.2 would be the tagged version of Rolf and CVS HEAD
>>> is 1.2.1, whereas development of 1.2.1 is business as usual, but no
>>> 1.4 resp 1.3 features, e.g. Repository/Publication layer, correct?
>>

>> not business as usual. checkins need to be discussed first.
>

> well, I think bug fixes and light enhancements of existing features
> don't need to be discussed.

+1 (see my other mail)

-- Andreas

Re: Code Freeze

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net>.
Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> writes:

> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
> > Michael Wechner wrote:
> >
> >> I guess you mean 1.2 would be the tagged version of Rolf and CVS HEAD
> >> is 1.2.1, whereas development of 1.2.1 is business as usual, but no
> >> 1.4 resp 1.3 features, e.g. Repository/Publication layer, correct?
> >
> > not business as usual. checkins need to be discussed first.
>
> well, I think bug fixes and light enhancements of existing features
> don't need to be discussed.

We can argue about bug fixes but the definition of 'light
enhancements' varies widely for different people, so IMHO they need to
be discussed.

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.net   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: Code Freeze

Posted by Dale Christ <de...@yahoo.com>.
All--

> well, I think bug fixes and light enhancements of existing features
> don't need to be discussed.
>
> WDYT?

Bug fixes don't, unless functionality is changed.  To me a 'light enhancement'
is an enhancement, and it should be discussed.

My $0.02 worth (or pick your local currency) anyway...

--Dale

Re: Code Freeze

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Re: Code Freeze

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: Code Freeze (was: VOTE [CVS->SVN] Cocoon Roadmap)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>

>> 3) allow only check-ins for 1.2.1 with prior discussion
>>    on lenya-dev
>>
>>   +1
>

> I guess you mean 1.2 would be the tagged version of Rolf and CVS HEAD
> is 1.2.1, whereas development of 1.2.1 is business as usual, but no
> 1.4 resp 1.3 features, e.g. Repository/Publication layer, correct?

Yes, this is how I understood it.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> 3) allow only check-ins for 1.2.1 with prior discussion
>    on lenya-dev
>
>   +1

I guess you mean 1.2 would be the tagged version of Rolf and CVS HEAD
is 1.2.1, whereas development of 1.2.1 is business as usual, but no
1.4 resp 1.3 features, e.g. Repository/Publication layer, correct?

+1

Michi

> WDYT?
>
> -- Andreas