Posted to user@arrow.apache.org by Yeshwanth Sriram <ye...@icloud.com> on 2021/08/05 16:22:40 UTC

[C++] - Example to extract nested column from table

Hi,

Could someone point me to an example code (C++) to extract nested columns from Arrow/Table (built from parquet) using dot notation in one go?

Looking for something like “auto array = table->GetColumnByName(“a.b.c”)"

Thank you.

Re: [C++] - Example to extract nested column from table

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
I don't think there's any constraint that says that dots are not valid
column names, so table->GetColumnByName(“a.b.c”) would have to look for a
column called “a.b.c”. But presumably you could instead chain together the
nested extractions like
table->GetColumnByName("a")->GetFieldByName("b")->GetFieldByName("c")

(Note the different method name for StructArrays: see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-11424)

Neal

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.