Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com> on 2013/11/19 03:50:31 UTC

[VOTE] helix-0.6.2-incubating

Hi,

This is to call for a vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache
Helix 0.6.2-incubating. This is the first release candidate of our third
release at Apache.

Apache Helix is a generic cluster management framework that makes it easy
to build partitioned and replicated, fault tolerant and scalable
distributed systems.

Release notes:
http://helix.incubator.apache.org/site-releases/0.6.2-incubating-site/releasenotes/release-0.6.2-incubating.html

Our vote thread on helix-dev:
http://markmail.org/message/f2odmc7ga2i5qqmh

The following IPMC members have voted +1
Patrick Hunt
Olivier Lamy

Release artifacts:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehelix-138

* binaries:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/binaries/
* sources:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/src/

The 0.6.2-incubating release tag
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-helix.git;a=tag;h=74efd57c9f7bcb54cb6007dd34646722d6133340

KEYS file available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/KEYS

Please vote on the release. The vote will be open for 72 hours.

[+1]
[0]
[-1]

Thanks,
The Apache Helix Team

[RESULT][VOTE] helix-0.6.2-incubating

Posted by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com>.
Hi:

Closing the vote since it has passed 72 hours.

Here is the result:

+1: 3 (binding)
Patrick Hunt
Olivier Lamy
Mahadev Konar

-1: 0

The vote has passed, thanks a lot to everyone for voting, Thanks to the
mentors for all the support!

Cheers,
The Helix Team

> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:42:47 -0800
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] helix-0.6.2-incubating
> From: mahadev@hortonworks.com
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
>
> +1 for the release.
> Mahadev Konar
> Hortonworks Inc.
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 8:45 PM, kishore g <g....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are short of 1 binding vote. Appreciate if any one can review.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kishore G
>> On Nov 18, 2013 6:51 PM, "Kanak Biscuitwala" <ka...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is to call for a vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache
>>> Helix 0.6.2-incubating. This is the first release candidate of our third
>>> release at Apache.
>>>
>>> Apache Helix is a generic cluster management framework that makes it easy
>>> to build partitioned and replicated, fault tolerant and scalable
>>> distributed systems.
>>>
>>> Release notes:
>>>
>>> http://helix.incubator.apache.org/site-releases/0.6.2-incubating-site/releasenotes/release-0.6.2-incubating.html
>>>
>>> Our vote thread on helix-dev:
>>> http://markmail.org/message/f2odmc7ga2i5qqmh
>>>
>>> The following IPMC members have voted +1
>>> Patrick Hunt
>>> Olivier Lamy
>>>
>>> Release artifacts:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehelix-138

>>> * binaries:
>>>
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/binaries/
>>> * sources:
>>>
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/src/
>>>
>>> The 0.6.2-incubating release tag
>>>
>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-helix.git;a=tag;h=74efd57c9f7bcb54cb6007dd34646722d6133340
>>>
>>> KEYS file available here:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/KEYS
>>>
>>> Please vote on the release. The vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> [+1]
>>> [0]

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for the release.
Mahadev Konar
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 8:45 PM, kishore g <g....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are short of 1 binding vote. Appreciate if any one can review.
>
> Thanks,
> Kishore G
> On Nov 18, 2013 6:51 PM, "Kanak Biscuitwala" <ka...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is to call for a vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache
>> Helix 0.6.2-incubating. This is the first release candidate of our third
>> release at Apache.
>>
>> Apache Helix is a generic cluster management framework that makes it easy
>> to build partitioned and replicated, fault tolerant and scalable
>> distributed systems.
>>
>> Release notes:
>>
>> http://helix.incubator.apache.org/site-releases/0.6.2-incubating-site/releasenotes/release-0.6.2-incubating.html
>>
>> Our vote thread on helix-dev:
>> http://markmail.org/message/f2odmc7ga2i5qqmh
>>
>> The following IPMC members have voted +1
>> Patrick Hunt
>> Olivier Lamy
>>
>> Release artifacts:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehelix-138

>> * binaries:
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/binaries/
>> * sources:
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/src/
>>
>> The 0.6.2-incubating release tag
>>
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-helix.git;a=tag;h=74efd57c9f7bcb54cb6007dd34646722d6133340
>>
>> KEYS file available here:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/KEYS
>>
>> Please vote on the release. The vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [+1]
>> [0]
>> [-1]
>>
>> Thanks,
>> The Apache Helix Team

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] helix-0.6.2-incubating

Posted by kishore g <g....@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 November 2013 02:50, Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is to call for a vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache
> Helix 0.6.2-incubating. This is the first release candidate of our third
> release at Apache.
>
> Apache Helix is a generic cluster management framework that makes it easy
> to build partitioned and replicated, fault tolerant and scalable
> distributed systems.
>
> Release notes:
> http://helix.incubator.apache.org/site-releases/0.6.2-incubating-site/releasenotes/release-0.6.2-incubating.html
>
> Our vote thread on helix-dev:
> http://markmail.org/message/f2odmc7ga2i5qqmh
>
> The following IPMC members have voted +1
> Patrick Hunt
> Olivier Lamy
>
> Release artifacts:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehelix-138

> * binaries:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/binaries/
> * sources:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/src/
>
> The 0.6.2-incubating release tag
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-helix.git;a=tag;h=74efd57c9f7bcb54cb6007dd34646722d6133340

The NOTICE file is missing from the top-level of the tag. It should be
present alongside the LICENSE file.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
On 25 November 2013 11:09, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 00:53:13 +0000
>>> Subject: Re: [VOTE] helix-0.6.2-incubating
>>> From: sebbaz@gmail.com
>>> To: general@incubator.apache.org

>>> Every ASF distribution must have LICENSE and NOTICE files (and
>>> DISCLAIMER for podlings)
>>> This includes releases and SCM.
>>
>> Given this requirement, which of the following is the correct course of action?
>>
>> 1. Update master with a NOTICE file which is a copy of the generated NOTICE file (it looks correct) and take no further action with the releases since the released packages contain NOTICE files.
>> 2. Update master and both tags with NOTICE files. Take no further action since the distributed packages have 1:1 correspondence with all files in source control.
>> 3. Update master and both tags with NOTICE files, skip the vote, and just update the already-pushed packages.
>> 4. Update master and both tags with NOTICE files, go through the entire voting process again, re-release.
>>
>> Really what I want to get out of all this is what is required to bring current and future Helix releases to full compliance with ASF standards.
>>

> You really should be asking this of your mentors. But you asked
> general@, so I'll wade in - IMO the release doesn't comply with
> policy, but what's done tis done; you can't unrelease it now that it's
> published. If I were in your shoes I'd probably publish a new version
> that is in compliance.
>
> (and incidentally you don't seem to be moving older versions (0.6.0,
> 0.6.1, etc) to the archive when promoting a new release. - see
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#when-to-archive for more)
>

>>> The NOTICE file must not contain any unnecessary content - in
>>> particular it must only contain references to bits that are actually
>>> included in the distribution. I'm not sure whether the plugin handles
>>> this properly yet (early versions were not good in this regard).
>>
>> It seems to do it correctly. The top level project is just the website for this project, which has no dependencies other than ASF projects, and this is reflected in the generated NOTICE file. Or does the top level NOTICE file need to be the union of all of its subprojects' NOTICE files?
>>

> You are only releasing one artifact - the source artifact. (in this
> case this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/src/helix-0.6.2-incubating-src.zip
> IF that release artifact contains the software that needs to be noted
> in the NOTICE file it should be done at the top level.
>
> The binaries you produce are not Apache releases. (If this confuses
> you please ask your mentors, or come back here and ask) Your SCM tree
> and the artifacts you release should have NOTICE, LICENSE, and
> DISCLAIMER at the top level, of the release artifact that is correctly
> populated. (e.g. the NOTICE file in your subdirectories appear to be
> [...]

mb-olamy:tmp olamy$ wget
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/src/helix-0.6.2-incubating-src.zip
--2013-11-25 12:15:22--
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/src/helix-0.6.2-incubating-src.zip
Resolving dist.apache.org... 140.211.11.22
Connecting to dist.apache.org|140.211.11.22|:443... connected.
Length: 2268555 (2.2M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘helix-0.6.2-incubating-src.zip’

100%[=================================================================================================================================================>]
2,268,555    650KB/s   in 3.4s

2013-11-25 12:15:28 (650 KB/s) - ‘helix-0.6.2-incubating-src.zip’
saved [2268555/2268555]

mb-olamy:tmp olamy$ unzip -l helix-0.6.2-incubating-src.zip|grep NOTICE
      801  11-14-13 15:31   helix-0.6.2-incubating/helix-agent/NOTICE
      801  11-14-13 15:31   helix-0.6.2-incubating/helix-admin-webapp/NOTICE
      801  11-14-13 15:31   helix-0.6.2-incubating/helix-core/NOTICE
      164  11-14-13 15:31   helix-0.6.2-incubating/NOTICE

So NOTICE is here in the top.

> --David

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [VOTE] helix-0.6.2-incubating

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Nalley wrote:

> (and incidentally you don't seem to be moving older versions (0.6.0,
> 0.6.1, etc) to the archive when promoting a new release. - see
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#when-to-archive for more)

Anything that is in the "dist" area is automatically archived,
as explained in that document.

What they do need to do, is to *delete* all of the old releases from
their dist area.

-David

Re: [VOTE] helix-0.6.2-incubating

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com>.
No, the current release doesn't have a NOTICE file at the top level. The subcomponents we intended for release (i.e. helix-core, helix-agent, helix-examples, and helix-admin-webapp) all have LICENSE, DISCLAIMER, and NOTICE files. If we need a NOTICE file in the top level, then we'll have to re-run the release tools.

If we re-run the release tools, is it required to start a new vote internally, as well as a new vote on this list?

Also, what do we do with the artifacts that have already been released?

Thanks,
Kanak

> Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 21:28:25 +0000
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] helix-0.6.2-incubating
> From: sebbaz@gmail.com
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
>
> On 23 November 2013 19:57, Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> sebb, I fixed the tag to include NOTICE here: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-helix.git;a=tag;h=d12177168347c9253f3b37946c06a7175f8a1997
>>
>> The parent directory doesn't actually contain any artifacts that we package as binaries.
>
> Not really relevant.
> The NOTICE file must relate to the contents of the collection it
> relates to: e.g. the tag or the source archive or the binary archive
> etc.
> Likewise the LICENSE file.
>
>> Do we need to go through the entire release process again?
>
> Does the release have the correct NOTICE and LICENSE files?
>

>>> From: kanak.b@hotmail.com
>>> To: general@incubator.apache.org
>>> Subject: [VOTE] helix-0.6.2-incubating
>>> Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:50:31 -0800
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is to call for a vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache
>>> Helix 0.6.2-incubating. This is the first release candidate of our third
>>> release at Apache.
>>>
>>> Apache Helix is a generic cluster management framework that makes it easy
>>> to build partitioned and replicated, fault tolerant and scalable
>>> distributed systems.
>>>
>>> Release notes:
>>> http://helix.incubator.apache.org/site-releases/0.6.2-incubating-site/releasenotes/release-0.6.2-incubating.html
>>>
>>> Our vote thread on helix-dev:
>>> http://markmail.org/message/f2odmc7ga2i5qqmh
>>>
>>> The following IPMC members have voted +1
>>> Patrick Hunt
>>> Olivier Lamy
>>>
>>> Release artifacts:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehelix-138

>>> * binaries:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/binaries/
>>> * sources:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/0.6.2-incubating/src/
>>>
>>> The 0.6.2-incubating release tag
>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-helix.git;a=tag;h=74efd57c9f7bcb54cb6007dd34646722d6133340
>>>
>>> KEYS file available here:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/helix/KEYS
>>>
>>> Please vote on the release. The vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> [+1]
>>> [0]

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com>.
sebb, I fixed the tag to include NOTICE here: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-helix.git;a=tag;h=d12177168347c9253f3b37946c06a7175f8a1997

The parent directory doesn't actually contain any artifacts that we package as binaries. Do we need to go through the entire release process again?