Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/11 15:58:33 UTC

May I use "OpenOffice.org" and "Apache Incubator" logos on OpenOffice.org CD

Happy New Year!

Please take a look at the following page.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/JA/Marketing/OpenOffice.org_CD/

May I use "OpenOffice.org" and "Apache Incubator" logos on OpenOffice.org CD?

Thanks,
khirano
--
khirano@apache.org
Apache OpenOffice (incubating)

Re: May I use "OpenOffice.org" and "Apache Incubator" logos on OpenOffice.org CD

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 5:55 AM, Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 12 Jan 2012 12:26:59 Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
> wrote:

>> > No objections at all, but I would generalize the question and turn it
>> > into a FAQ: surely we can't expect to have to approve logo requests for
>> > every CD distribution initiative, so we should probably reach the
>> > consensus (and consult Shane) on generically allowing the OpenOffice.org
>> > logo, and the logo that will eventually replace it, on CDs containing
>> > the unmodified software as released by Apache (a more proper wording can
>> > probably be found, but you get the concept).
>>
>> So, hypothetically, if someone wanted to produce CD's that contained
>> literal copies of AOO and put the logo on them, would they then be
>> allowed to sell them on eBay, and to show a photograph of the CD with
>> the logo?  That would be allowed if we gave blanket permission.
>>
>> Also, would someone be allowed to use the logo for CD's that they sell
>> from a website where they claim that OpenOffice is in danger and that
>> they are collecting donations in order to rescue OpenOffice?
>>
>> It might make sense to handle these requests case-by-case for now,
>> until we have a better sense of what kinds of problems we will
>> encounter.
>
> Lets stick with CTR, one thing that history has shown us is that there are a
> lot of eyes out there, if someone is misusing the brand, it gets back to us
> pretty fast.  Far too much time is being spent on this sort of nonproductive
> effort where we could simply be using the eyes of the wider community to keep
> us in touch.

That is not current ASF policy.  We currently require explicit
permission to use the loog. If you want to change policy, I'd
recommend starting a new thread on that, so your thoughts are not
buried in this one.

As for "far too much time is being spent", I'd draw your attention to
the fact that this is the first logo request we've received for a CD
in 6 months, and perhaps only the 4th logo request we've received at
all.  All our current process requires is lazy consensus, e.g., a 72
hour opportunity for PPMC members to object.  And then VP, Branding
permission based on our recommendation.  So this is neither difficult
nor time consuming.  And if anyone thinks it is, I'm happy to remove
that objection by volunteering to manage the workflow for this myself
for this project, something I'm essentially already doing.

> Hands-off worked in the past, sure there were breaches, but in terms of the
> greater picture the numbers were very small.  The easier we can make it for
> the brand to be out in the wild the better, if only from a brand recognition
> point of view.  If we want to have absolute control over how and where the
> brand is used then it will not get the spread it needs without the expense of
> paid advertising.
>
> Not much point in having a a brand if we are the only ones looking at it or
> recognising it.

That is an argument for giving permission broadly.  It is not an
argument for giving permission without review.  Think of this as an
opportunity for engagement with the person or group wanting to use the
logo.  By asking our permission we're introduced.  We have the
opportunity to explain our preferred ways to use our branding.  We can
answer their questions.  We can perhaps point them to other forms of
the logo,. Maybe we identify ways of cross promoting their activity.
It opens up a two-way conversation.  It is not a bad thing.

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 12/01/2012 Donald Whytock wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> The old policy, if I recall correctly, was to allow this kind of usage and a
>> generic usage for "community activities".
>
> Would you want people to notify the list if/when it happens?

Yes, maybe some lightweight process like this; but I understand that,
especially before and around the first release, the project might want
to have better control over the brand and logo usage.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: May I use "OpenOffice.org" and "Apache Incubator" logos on OpenOffice.org CD

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, Hirano-san!

> Please take a look at the following page.
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/JA/Marketing/OpenOffice.org_CD/
>
> May I use "OpenOffice.org" and "Apache Incubator" logos on OpenOffice.org CD?

I assume the CD contains OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 for Windows?  Is there
anything else on the CD?

This looks like a very good project, and I think the PPMC should be
proud to be associated with this effort.

The relevant policy is the one here under "Using Apache trademarks on
merchandise":

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

"You must obtain prior written approval from the VP, Apache Brand
Management to apply the "Apache", "Apache Foo" or "Foo" trademarks or
their graphic logos to any merchandise that is intended to be
associated in people's minds with Apache Foo software or any Apache
software.

Permission to apply ASF trademarks (including graphic logos) may be
granted for merchandise that promotes the Apache Software Foundation,
the Apache Foo project and Foo software.

Permission to apply ASF trademarks will ordinarily be denied for
merchandise that disparages Apache software or projects or that would
serve to detract from the value of Apache software and its brands."

I think your proposed use of the OpenOffice.org logo meets the above
requirements.  So +1 from me for the use of the OpenOffice.org logo.

For the Apache Incubator logo, that is not something the AOO PPMC
controls.  I do not know what the policy is for that.  You might need
to send a separate note to trademarks@apache.org about this, or maybe
general@incubator.apache,org.

As we've done in the past, we seek lazy consensus from the PPMC on
these requests and then send our recommendation to the Branding VP
(Shane) for the final decision. So let's wait 72-hours and see if
there are any concerns.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Some schools help distribute these CDs to their students studying
>>> software and languages.
>>>

>> Do you know what date this event was?
>
> I don't know.  It was not a public event.
>
>> I noticed that the website had a  large increase in visitors from
>> Japan on April 14th (perhaps April 15th in Japan).
>
> Good news.  Thanks.
>
>> On a CD containing unmodified binary installs from the AOO 3.4
>> release?
>
> Yes.
>
>> That sounds OK with me.  But please wait for the release to
>> be actually approved.
>
> Sure, I will.

Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 for Windows CDs have been released.
https://sites.google.com/site/khirano/Home/apache-openoffice-cd

Thanks,
khirano

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Some schools help distribute these CDs to their students studying
>> software and languages.
>>

> Do you know what date this event was?

I don't know.  It was not a public event.

> I noticed that the website had a  large increase in visitors from
> Japan on April 14th (perhaps April 15th in Japan).

Good news.  Thanks.

> On a CD containing unmodified binary installs from the AOO 3.4
> release?

Yes.

> That sounds OK with me.  But please wait for the release to
> be actually approved.

Sure, I will.

Thanks,
khirano

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Let me update.
> https://sites.google.com/site/khirano/Home/openoffice-org-3-3-0-cd
> We made Rainbow version and Flower version of OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 for
> Windows CD with 18 language packs, source code, SDK and set them in
> slim cases.
> Some schools help distribute these CDs to their students studying
> software and languages.

Do you know what date this event was?

I noticed that the website had a  large increase in visitors from
Japan on April 14th (perhaps April 15th in Japan).

> After Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release we would like to make Apache
> OpenOffice 3.4 for Windows CD.
> May I use "Apache OpenOffice"[1] and "Apache Incubator"[2] logos on CDs?
> [1] http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/OOo_Website_v2_copy.png
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/images/egg-logo.png

On a CD containing unmodified binary installs from the AOO 3.4
release?  That sounds OK with me.  But please wait for the release to
be actually approved.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 12:19 +0900, Kazunari Hirano wrote:
> Hi drew,
>
> >> Let me update.
> >> https://sites.google.com/site/khirano/Home/openoffice-org-3-3-0-cd
> > Is it not possible for that person to create what they, and you, feel is
> > appropriate and let the group see it, before sending it to the presses?
>
> I think it is possible because we could do that before sending the
> artwork to the presses.
> Why do you think it is not possible?

I just figured, it's just as easy to just put it together and say, hey
we would like to use this - and, others are going to want to do this
also, it would be real valuable if folks could see what all of us are
doing. It would be really great, since I really like the art work you
show there, if may this could lead to a design on the wiki for others to
base similar work on.

That was my thinking.

Thanks again for this,

//drew

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi drew,

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 11:33 +0900, Kazunari Hirano wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Let me update.
> https://sites.google.com/site/khirano/Home/openoffice-org-3-3-0-cd
> We made Rainbow version and Flower version of OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 for
> Windows CD with 18 language packs, source code, SDK and set them in
> slim cases.
> Some schools help distribute these CDs to their students studying
> software and languages.
>
> After Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release we would like to make Apache
> OpenOffice 3.4 for Windows CD.
> May I use "Apache OpenOffice"[1] and "Apache Incubator"[2] logos on CDs?
> [1] http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/OOo_Website_v2_copy.png
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/images/egg-logo.png
>
> Thanks,
Hi khirano

Well, obviously someone made the art work for the cd images you point
to.

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

https://sites.google.com/site/khirano/Home/openoffice-org-3-3-0-cd

Here are final designs.

You know students graduate their collage or university in March and
new students enter their university or collage in April in Japan.
I will ask universities and collages to give them OpenOffice.org CD as
graduation gift and entry gift :)
Or students can donate some money by buying OpenOffice.org CD.
1 CD goes to the donor.  1 CD goes to a people who need it in the
devastated areas.
Money from sale of CD will be used to create new industry, new job in
the devastated areas.

Thanks,
khirano

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shane,

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shane and the team,

Thank you..

This is a great news for my project colleagues.
When we finalize the CD design, we would like to show you :)

Thanks,
khirano

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi trademarks team,

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: May I use "OpenOffice.org" and "Apache Incubator" logos on OpenOffice.org CD