Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Kin-Man Chung <Ki...@Eng.Sun.COM> on 2003/02/06 20:43:20 UTC

[TC5] Time to make a release?

There has been inquiries about a Tomcat 5 release, both in and out
of the mailing list.  I usually direct them to our nightly builds,
but there is no links from the jakarta page, and they are not always
available.  I think it's time that we make a release, to make it
easier for people to try it out.

I know there are a lot of work still going on, and a lot need to be
done to make it into a stable release.  I am thinking about an alpha
release.  Now that JSP 2.0 PFD2 has been published,

(http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/first/jsr152/index2.html)

and the jasper implementation has been complete, we need a release for
people to try it out.

Comment?

Re: [TC5] Time to make a release?

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Kin-Man Chung wrote:
>> There has been inquiries about a Tomcat 5 release, both in and out
>> of the mailing list.  I usually direct them to our nightly builds,
>> but there is no links from the jakarta page, and they are not always
>> available.  I think it's time that we make a release, to make it
>> easier for people to try it out.
>>
>> I know there are a lot of work still going on, and a lot need to be
>> done to make it into a stable release.  I am thinking about an alpha
>> release.  Now that JSP 2.0 PFD2 has been published,
>>
>> (http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/first/jsr152/index2.html)
>>
>> and the jasper implementation has been complete, we need a release for
>> people to try it out.
>>
>> Comment?
>
> The problem was that we were (and still are) in between feature
> additions (new mapper, new JMX features), and right now the result is
> probably flaky.
>
> I would have wanted to get the JSR 77 lifecylce issues fixed (ie, when
> you remove a context, you should remove the associated MBean, so that
> the mapper gets a notification and can do the mapping correctly) before
> tagging a new 5.0.1 alpha.

I'm working on this...

Costin

Re: [TC5] Time to make a release?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Kin-Man Chung wrote:
> There has been inquiries about a Tomcat 5 release, both in and out
> of the mailing list.  I usually direct them to our nightly builds,
> but there is no links from the jakarta page, and they are not always
> available.  I think it's time that we make a release, to make it
> easier for people to try it out.
>
> I know there are a lot of work still going on, and a lot need to be
> done to make it into a stable release.  I am thinking about an alpha
> release.  Now that JSP 2.0 PFD2 has been published,
>
> (http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/first/jsr152/index2.html)
>
> and the jasper implementation has been complete, we need a release for
> people to try it out.
>
> Comment?

The problem was that we were (and still are) in between feature
additions (new mapper, new JMX features), and right now the result is
probably flaky.

I would have wanted to get the JSR 77 lifecylce issues fixed (ie, when
you remove a context, you should remove the associated MBean, so that
the mapper gets a notification and can do the mapping correctly) before
tagging a new 5.0.1 alpha.

On the other tree, I still have the JSPC merging to do before tagging
4.1.20 (early next week, I'll be too busy tomorrow).

Remy