Posted to muse-user@ws.apache.org by Bertrand Baesjou <ba...@tid.es> on 2006/11/15 12:27:35 UTC

Some questions/issues muse 2.0: muse installation, axis installation, persistence API

Hi,

In the process of started to get acquainted with muse 2.0, I stumbled
upon a few issues and questions.

I downloaded the binary distribution, however I found the installation
page http://ws.apache.org/muse/docs/2.0.0/tutorial/01-install-muse.html
quite  some short on the subject of installation. It does not gives a
suggestion where to place the unpacked directory (I placed it in
/usr/local/muse ) or if there need to be a PATH or other environment
variable set (it does however suggest the ./bin directory to be
included, so that is OK :P ).

Furthermore, the shell scripts are not ready executable and have a
suffix (which makes them incompatible with the tutorial command line
http://ws.apache.org/muse/docs/2.0.0/tutorial/03-wsdl2java.html ).

Furthermore, the shell scripts are still in binary format, even tough I
found the subject already covered on the mailing list:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=muse-user&m=115892779030401&w=2 .

The installation page does also not state for what purpose one should
use the binary and for what purpose one should use the source
distribution (so I picked binary, but maybe source would be a better
option, I don't know...).

I was also doing the tutorial and on this page
http://ws.apache.org/muse/docs/2.0.0/tutorial/03-wsdl2java.html I came
into problems while (automatically) installing axis:
wsdl2java -wsdl
/home/bertrand/Thesis/codebase/muse_test/sample-wsn-producer.wsdl

SEVERE: [ID = 'FailedLoadingWSDL'] Got exception loading WSDL: [ID =
'InvalidFile'] The file specified does not exist:
/home/bertrand/Thesis/codebase/muse_test/WS-Addressing-2005_08.xsd.
Remember that the location of the file is relative to the application's
working directory..

An exception was caught: [ID = 'FailedLoadingWSDL'] Got exception
/home/bertrand/Thesis/codebase/muse_test/WS-Addressing-2005_08.xsd.
Remember that the location of the file is relative to the application's
working directory..

So can somebody give some advice on this? Should there be a PATH set or
something?

Final question, on the "Features" page it is stated that muse 2.0
contains "A persistence API so that users can recover the state of a
WS-resource after shutdown of the host." Can this also be used to copy
the state an application using the WSRF to an other (secondary) machine?
Can this be done runtime? Because I am looking for such functionality.
If so, could somebody please point to documentation and/or examples how
to start with this?

I hope I don't sound to negative, because I really appreciate all the
work being done by the Muse team!

Best regards,
    Bertrand

Re: Some questions/issues muse 2.0: muse installation, axis installation, persistence API

Posted by Andrew Eberbach <ae...@us.ibm.com>.
3. Yes, the problem is that we ship zip files which were made on a windows
machine and didn't save the permissions. I can see about running a script
on a unix machine that will repack the file after setting the right
permissions on it. I'll open a JIRA item to track this.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Eberbach
Autonomic Computing
(919) 254-2645
T/L: 444-2645
aeberbac@us.ibm.com

Daniel Jemiolo/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
11/15/2006 09:52 AM
Please respond to
muse-user@ws.apache.org

muse-user@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Some questions/issues muse 2.0: muse installation, axis installation,
persistence API

Hi,

Here are some answers for the issues you raised:

1. The location of the Muse directory doesn't really matter - since
everyone has a preference we just assumed not mention it. What *is*
important is putting /bin on your path so you can invoke the tools from
anywhere.

2. I will add a 'Note' on section 3 of the tutorial that advises Unix
users to add a .sh suffix.

3. I will delegate to Andrew on the matter of script format and
permissions - I also thought this was handled.

4. All Apache projects provide a binary and source distribution - the
binary is the one that you actually need to work with the project, the
source is just a convenience for those that want to browse the code. Our
build process does not even require you to download the source zip file,
we just provide it because all other projects do and it's easy to create.

Short answer: you normally only need the binary. You can get the source if

you're curious. If you want to modify some of the source and rebuild,
follow the instructions here:

        http://ws.apache.org/muse/source-code.html#build-release

5. You need to add the XSD/WSDL files that sample-wsn-producer.wsdl
imports - these are the WSRF/WSN/WSDM XSDs/WSDLs. This is mentioned in the

first 'Note' in section 2. However, we should do a better job of linking
to them in the 2.1 documentation; I will fix this, in the meantime, the
XSDs/WSDLs are found by clicking 'OASIS Standards' in the menu.

6. The default persistence mechanism is file based and will not write to
another machine. The interface and abstract class used by the default
implementation are meant to be reused in situations where you want a
different form of persistence, such as relational database or (in your
case) simply copying to another machine. I can help you write the code you

need, but first I need some answers myself:

        a. Do you want to use a different format from the one used by
Muse's default implementation? Or are you satisfied with it. The default
implementation stores EPR reference parameters in the XML files under
/router-entries.

        b. Are you content with storing separate files on disk, or do you
have a more robust persistence mechanism in mind? How many resource
instances will there be? If the number is large, we won't be able to use
files because of performance issues, and this will significantly affect
how much code we can reuse from Muse today.

thanks,
Dan

Posted by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi,